Bachmann 39-476 Part Query

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
Arnhemjim

Bachmann 39-476 Part Query

Post by Arnhemjim »

To All Members of the Forum,
I have an intriguing set of questions regarding a very small pair of parts incorporated in the HO gauge Bachmann 39-476 LMS 60 ft “Porthole” Open Vestibule Coach in BR livery. To the best of my current knowledge they do not impair the full functionality of the couplers located at each end (doorway) of the coach. Unfortunately I lack the requisite skills to cut and paste an appropriate photo of the specific area where one of the pieces is located, but can reference the following page; https://railsofsheffield.com/collection ... ach-m7467m (From left to right the third image showing the one end, is the location of one of the parts). It is only a press fit of two tiny pins on the part, into two holes in the face of the end of the sidesole main chassis, between the buffer assemblies, at a very slight horizontal cant. The part resembles a miniscule rectangular shelf protruding from underneath the bottom the doorway. It is completely clear of both the bogie and coupler assembly.

What is Bachmann’s correct name and part number for the piece? What is the price of the piece? What functionality does it provide to the coach and/or coupler assembly? What other LMS or other lines of coaches, if any, has Bachmann produced incorporating this specific detail?

Sincere thanks in advance for any information to any or all of these queries.

Best regards, Hogmanay Greetings, and Slàinte Mhòr! to All, from the Colonies
Arnhemjim
Arizona Territory
IMG_4035.JPG
Bigmet

Re: Bachmann 39-476 Part Query

Post by Bigmet »

I would think that is meant to represent a footboard (and if so it should lie horizontal) to assist staff working on the carriage end, and specifically the gangway mechanism. These devices required access for a man to link the gangway faces as trains were made up, and to release them when vehicles were uncoupled. (Side note, the LMS and GWR persisted with screw link couplings and 'suspended gangway' systems to the end of their existence, despite the much superior knuckle coupler and Pullman gangway system integrated into the coach frame having been in regular service in the UK from the 1890s, first with the Pullman business, and by 1895 with the GNR and ECJS, and thus became general on the LNER from 1923. I am old enough to have been warned by my mother never to linger in the gangway between coaches, she having been brought up on GWR territory: living as we then did in ex-LNER territory with the very stable Pullman gangway the only such device I knew, I didn't then understand the 'rattletrap' experience of suspended gangways, think poorly maintained rope bridge in a wind.)

I went looking in the LMS carriage drawings volume collected by the late David Jenkinson, but this detail is not drawn in or commented on. There was a man who would have known, if anyone did, what this component was called; I'd guess at 'headstock step' as the frame end crossmember in which the buffers are mounted is the 'headstock' in UK railway usage. I very much doubt that Bachmann have a part number for this piece alone, it's a component bundled under the catalogue number, based on my experience of all the prior products from this source. (Bachmann UK service staff have been helpful and able to identify such pieces by description in the past it must be said.)
Arnhemjim

Post by Arnhemjim »

Hello Bigmet,
Once again my sincere thanks for your advanced expert and expansive explanation. Fortunately early on in my delving into the hobby (addiction?), I acquired a copy of David Jenkinson's definitive tome (invaluable resource). Have already been in touch with Bachmann, and as expected the add-on parts kit (containing a pair of the pieces and others) is currently unavailable. Not unexpected. Fortunately, as you probably are already aware, the part only provides enhanced cosmetic accuracy, and does not diminish any functionality of the coach. I guess I should consider myself fortunate to have found the coach boxed and in excellent condition with at least foot-board present.
Again thanks and Warmest Regards,
Arnhemjim
Arizona Territory
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Arnhemjim wrote:... your advanced expert and expansive explanation...
Very generous Jim, but let's just wait on that: someone truly expert may just bowl up and supply the original name and actual purpose; my explanation is no more than an informed guess...