mark 1 carriage wheel replacement

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
rejrob

mark 1 carriage wheel replacement

Post by rejrob »

Hi all and everyone is safe and well although must admit hard at the present time??? After many many years of using roxey etched bogies for my carriages I decided enough was enough.my hands are not good so replace them with RTR bachmann,after measuring the wheel base of my stone-age Mk1 at 32 mm, the bogies with the piece of black piping separating the wheels and not always running true(stop me if you've heard it)32mm was also the wheelbase for the maunsell coaches which are currently being made.Purchased enough of bachmann 36-005A for 11 coaches.and started???Took out the first bogie, and lo and behold wheelbase 34mm,too big for the maunsell!!!Wiki solved the problem ,34 mm is right for Mk1 as of 1958 so by pure chance a problem i was not aware of solved I would have thought a company with as many whizz kids as bachmann would have known the right measurement from day 1 :D :D :D Anyway the Man of Kent fleet of coaches has its correct bogies and the maunsells have been(Jiggled and juggled) and no problem there.Just a little info in case others are using stone-age bachmann Mk 1,s cheach em All the best Ron
Bigmet

Re: mark 1 carriage wheel replacement

Post by Bigmet »

Puzzled! My BR mk1 stock is all Bachmann, the earlier all compartment non gangwayed 57' types, and the Blue Riband 64' gangwayed, and the bogies are all (correctly) 34mm wheelbase.