Is a CDU constant

Basic electrical and electronics, such as DC/Analog control.
collectors

Is a CDU constant

Post by collectors »

Hi, i am running a cable under my tracks for the point motors @ 20 volts DC via a CDU. i also have some wi-fi relay boards that work from 7-32v dc. Is it ok to run these relay boards off the same CDU supply. ??? Or has a CDU got some quirk that my relay boards may not like. Thanks
Bigmet

Re: Is a CDU constant

Post by Bigmet »

If you intend your wifi relay boards to be supplied by a CDU's output, then they will not work, the CDU only outputs a brief pulse of current on command. Worse yet the wifi relay boards may sustain damage, run them off a constant supply at the rated voltage.
collectors

Post by collectors »

Bigmet wrote:If you intend your wifi relay boards to be supplied by a CDU's output, then they will not work, the CDU only outputs a brief pulse of current on command. Worse yet the wifi relay boards may sustain damage, run them off a constant supply at the rated voltage.
Many thanks, that saves a mistake. :oops:
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

That was my initial reaction to what would happen if you attached something that's always on to a CDU, but the only time I've seen it done turned out totally different. The current drawn from the moment it was switched on was higher than the charging current to the capacitor, so it never charged up! Possible destruction might have happened if the load was disconnected then reconnected whilst the CDU was alive.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions