Track plan: commentary and advice, please.

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
Chops

Track plan: commentary and advice, please.

Post by Chops »

I've been wanting to do something more with "Henley" for a while, now. I had been considering hafting on an L to one corner, and running out a simple balloon of an extension to the outer mainline. The more I think about it, the less I like it. Such an addition doesn't really add very much except some potentially problematic turnouts and more mileage without much operational gain.

While tidying up, I stumbled over this old track plan. Could be a Hornby publication, I cannot recall where I found it. At any rate, If I increased the breadth by two feet (sorry, Americans are stuck in the 1300's) then this becomes possible:
IMG_20211206_221319.jpg
At a glance, the turnouts look as though they would have to be the shortest radius, what we call a #4, and to accommodate passenger stock ideally #6 would be preferred. Do #6's look like they might do the trick?

The three foot reach to the centre could be a bit tricky. My experience is that anything over 2 1/2 feet is asking for trouble, but then, most the track runs about the perimeter, so maybe not so bad?
Nessie rocks!
Bigmet

Re: Track plan: commentary and advice, please.

Post by Bigmet »

It's a classic of trainsettery to be frank, just two independent circuits, and we will sell you a couple each of points and diamonds to create two locations for collisions. Oh, and the necessary diamond crossing with a curved road, may not actually exist in our track range...

There's nowhere to store locos or stock, no shunting possible, operationally very limited. A double circuit, any shape you like, with two crossovers and some loops and sidings off, and you are cooking with gas.
Chops wrote:... two feet (sorry, Americans are stuck in the 1300's) ...
Actually you are honouring our cultural origin in neolithic Mesopotamia, where there is good archaeological evidence of the foot as a measure: its use may well long predate this, but the evidence is weaker.
Flashbang

Post by Flashbang »

Interesting! I saw it as the inner loop being raised up so as it passes over the outer loops tracks? :o
As you say Bigmet, nothing allowed for stock storage etc!
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.
RAF96

Post by RAF96 »

With a tweak or two to join the separate loops in two places, it could be made into a folded eight. If space allowed the line could then be doubled up to give two way running. Something like this...the red line is the high road, the blue line the lower road and the lower diamond is deleted and becomes a simple bridge over access to a second siding if required, else expand the top siding.
1B900A50-3C65-4EA5-87B6-C80A0ADF4F28.jpeg
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester
End2end

Post by End2end »

Just pondering, If you wanted one, where could you fit in a station with so much track?
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Chops

Post by Chops »

That's rather interesting, thanks.
Nessie rocks!