Points Position Indicator help please

Basic electrical and electronics, such as DC/Analog control.
collectors

Points Position Indicator help please

Post by collectors »

I am tossing up between a BLOCK signalling Points Position Indicator or a Microminiatures version that seems similar. Now BLOCK signalling is in hospital for some work at the moment & microminiatures is not easy to get hold of.
Has anyone used either as i want to have a local signal by the points & an extra one for a mimic board, so, doubling up on bi-led's. Has anyone tried, or is there a work around .???

Thanks
End2end

Re: Points Position Indicator help please

Post by End2end »

"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
RAF96

Post by RAF96 »

You have two basic choices:
1. The points indicator repeats what the selector switch is set to, which may / may not be the actual point set position.
2. The points indicator tells of the actual point position regardless of the switch setting.
2 is preferable to 1.

1 is achieved by slaving a local signal led and/or mimic panel led in parallel with the switch. The point may or may not move to the selected position so the indication could be true or false.
2 is achieved by a switch or other sensor operated by the point which lights the local signal led indicator and/or the mimic panel led indicator. The indication will always be true for the point position.
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester
collectors

Post by collectors »

Many thanks for the info, i am going down the more simple route of the led lighting up with a latching relay only because it would be a lot of work changing to a true points position. I have just ordered a GM500 UNIVERSAL RELAY SWITCH to have a play.
Ironically, the panel i was thinking of buying is £28.00 for an 8 way. Its sods law i need a 9way. So the relays will work out better.
collectors

Post by collectors »

Hi, just another question? I have adapted the gaugmaster drawing for my use & feel there should be some sort of overload protection in the circuit on the 18v & the 12v side. Any suggestions. A max of two points would be switched at any one time. Thanks

Flashbang

Post by Flashbang »

The number of points being operated simultaneously really doesn't matter as the CDU is taking care of that load.

If you want to add protection consider a thermal self resetting circuit breaking wired into the main supply (orange wire in your drawing) from the power supply unit and before it goes to the CDU and Voltage convertor. Something of 2.0 to 3.0Amp rating would be my choice Typical example.. https://www.bclstore.co.uk/product-page ... aker-ts304 The negative / black wire from the power supply is not protected, just the Positive. :D
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.
collectors

Post by collectors »

Flashbang wrote:The number of points being operated simultaneously really doesn't matter as the CDU is taking care of that load.

If you want to add protection consider a thermal self resetting circuit breaking wired into the main supply (orange wire in your drawing) from the power supply unit and before it goes to the CDU and Voltage convertor. Something of 2.0 to 3.0Amp rating would be my choice Typical example.. https://www.bclstore.co.uk/product-page ... aker-ts304 The negative / black wire from the power supply is not protected, just the Positive. :D
Many thanks, just ordered 2. Will feel a bit safer with these inline. :)
Flashbang

Post by Flashbang »

collectors wrote: <SNIP>
Many thanks, just ordered 2. Will feel a bit safer with these inline. :)
You really only needed one. In series in the positive supply - immediately after the power supply and before it goes to the CDU and Voltage regulator. But having two - one is each direction, wont cause any issues.
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.