Using Hornby setrack Realistically

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
Someone

Using Hornby setrack Realistically

Post by Someone »

I want To do a Modern image scenically Northern WCML style layout (But With Freelance running) but getting modern style concrete Peco Flextrack, is real difficult where i live, but i have plenty of stores that sell Hornby and Peco setrack. Can Hornby/Peco setrack be made to look good on a modern image layout, i know there is lots of modellers who use setrack but i don't know how good it would look with a modern style layout based loosely of the WCML because the track is more of a steam era style.

MOD Note: Topic moved from General Model Railway Discussion / News to the Track/Layout Design area where it is more suited.
Someone is stealing wheels from Police cars, The Authorities are working tirelessly to catch them.
Bigmet

Re: Using Hornby setrack Realistically

Post by Bigmet »

If you local stockists won't oblige, why not try mail order, it works well. Here's one well known retailer:
https://www.hattons.co.uk/7706/peco_pro ... tockdetail
Peco supplies have been interrupted by their manufacture of PPE during the epidemic, and they are now getting back to normal, but you may be waiting for some items. Code 100 or 75 rail, points with concrete sleepers to match and in much larger radii than the set track points which looks so much better. Does need more space than set track however.

So the next question is, what layout space do you have ? If your space doesn't strecth beyond four feet in width, then you are pretty much restricted to set track to get tight enough curves if a continuous run is required. What can be done is set track curves at each end, code 100 flexitrack connecting the curves, worthwhile if a long narrow space is available.

And send a message to Hornby, ~Peco et al better set track with the option of concrete sleeper please.

There are yet further options HO systems and in kit build track too, but one step at a time.
Someone

Post by Someone »

I have a 6x6 table with a Hole in the middle, and the cost shipping to my location and Import duty is stupidly high.
Someone is stealing wheels from Police cars, The Authorities are working tirelessly to catch them.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

OK, at that size you are pretty much restricted to set track, but it doesn't have to be the UK standard type, anything made for HO is usable and will be better - the UK set track has design roots in 1950s HO track, and the HO manufacturers have much improved their products since then. Roco, Kato, are brands I would look out for; and there should be other folks on this site with broader experience of HO product with recommendations.
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

Hornby Set track is perfectly good if it is treated well - see this example here https://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/F ... 60#p665350 which is part of my old layout, all the track in this post is Hornby.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

The interesting thing is that set track is ideal for narrow gauge as a few of the prototype railways often ran on ex WW1 sectional track which was sold cheap. Some military NG systems were expanded using these as well.

Standard gauge lines did use a kind of sectional track (E.g. standard length rails) but it was not rigid as it needed to flex to form gradual curves and it was built on site more rather then plonked down as ready made sections (Apart from pointwork which was often prebuilt to fit the location).

The more I think about it, the more I see how suitable sectional track is for narrow gauge use. It is only the sleepers which need to be altered.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

But getting back to what 'Someone' asked for:
Someone wrote:I want To do a Modern image scenically Northern WCML style layout ... modern style concrete (track)...
This simply cannot be achieved with UK set track. Given that the Peco concrete flexitrack option is too expensive, and the space is six by six, I feel that the best options will probably be HO set track systems, from the likes of Roco, Kato, etc.; but have no current experience to offer.
Someone

Post by Someone »

Bigmet wrote:But getting back to what 'Someone' asked for:
Someone wrote:I want To do a Modern image scenically Northern WCML style layout ... modern style concrete (track)...
This simply cannot be achieved with UK set track. Given that the Peco concrete flex track option is too expensive, and the space is six by six, I feel that the best options will probably be HO set track systems, from the likes of Roco, Kato, etc.; but have no current experience to offer.
I'm tempted to use Piko A track because they make code 100 concrete sleeper points.