Starting off in 009

Post your narrow gauge model railway questions here. That includes model railway narrow track gauges Nn3 to Gn15 and beyond!.
Jkelly

Starting off in 009

Post by Jkelly »

So progress has been stalling recently with my layout. I have a 00 gauge 11x4ft layout, but it's just not working for me. I have always had an interest in narrow gauge railways. My Grandad grew up with the narrow gauge railways in Donegal (in Ireland). I guess that it is in my blood as I always loved hearing stories about the railways in Donegal and reading about them. Welsh railways in particular seem like a good place to start as they have that Celtic foundation but a relatively wide model market. Wales is also stunning. I also now have some spare cash so that will allow me to get going in 009. The WHR and Ffestiniog particularly interest me. Sorry, I am rambling.

I was thinking recently about taking down my current setup, box everything up, reuse my timber and start a U shaped 009 layout. I really want to put an emphasis on scenery, with undulating hills, a valley, proper trees and static grass etc. If I am starting fresh I can really do a good job. A lot of 009 layouts seem quite childish, with cheap plasticky trains and those awful artificial conifer trees, or those pizza box layouts. I would be aiming for realism and atmosphere. I'm thinking a relatively well sized station, with a few buildings around it, and then the line meanders off over a bridge and through cuttings into a tunnel. I would prefer continuous run over end to end. I have been particularly inspired by Corris, the Clyre Valley Railway and County Gate.

So, to business. What is the story with sourcing 009 locomotives? Backwoods miniatures seem to have been taken over by N Drive Productions, which is run by a very busy man in a shed. Are there any mainstream loco kits manufactures? RTR locos seem quite pricey. Same with rolling stock, are there any manufacturers that you would recommend? What kits would you recommend I try to see if I like 009? Is reliability/smooth running possible with 009? Also, books. Are there any good books on modelling the narrow gauge railways of Wales?

Thank you all very much for your help! It is, as ever, much appreciated.
Bigmet

Re: Starting off in 009

Post by Bigmet »

The supply of UK narrow gauge models has always been limited, in part I feel because there simply wasn't significant narrow gauge mileage in the UK. On price, it is the old story, you will most likely get what you pay for.

Sad story: just over ten years ago Roco floated the idea of an OO9 Double Fairlie to UK retailers. It didn't happen; price too high in the retailer's opinion. Now that would have been a good loco I am sure, to continental model standards; but the retailers are the gatekeepers, and best positioned to know what their customers will choke up the money for,

Better story: Peco have engaged Kato to make an OO9 loco. That should be good, but I expect it will be expensive.

Layout: if you really want scenic, abandon the baseboard. Check out 'open frame' layout construction.
b308

Post by b308 »

Things have changed a great deal over the past few years regarding 009. The RTR may be pricey but you get what you pay for and they run very well, unlike the old "kits on an N chassis" which ran poorly and weren't very good at all. I would suggest that you look around and get secondhand modern RTR for what you want. The two Bachmann TTE steam locos both have conversion kits and make up into extremely effective and realistic models, Peco do a selection of rolling stock and much of the Minitrains stuff can be used. Kato/Peco are about to launch their England loco (Prince and Princess from the FR) and the Quarry Hunslet should be out next year as well. Sometimes you can pick up a Fourdees RTR handbuilt loco for a decent price as well.

If you are not bothered about authenticity then there's plenty of kits/prints that fit on the Kato 11-109/10 chassis which is a good runner, personally I prefer authentic locos and agree with you that there are too many gimmicky layouts appearing, probably due to the cheap prints/Kato chassis!

I'm with you on the scenery part, I prefer a railway in the scenery rather than a crowded scene!
Lancastrian

Post by Lancastrian »

Don't forget Bachmann who are now in the 009 market.
My Web Site Links: FGO & Boats and Canals (Forum)
b308

Post by b308 »

I didn't, see my first paragraph! ;)
Lancastrian

Post by Lancastrian »

b308 wrote:I didn't, see my first paragraph! ;)
Sorry, I must have missed it. :oops:
My Web Site Links: FGO & Boats and Canals (Forum)
Buggleskelly

Post by Buggleskelly »

My Peco kit on a Kato 11-109/10 chassis
1634547160671 (Copy).jpg
b308

Post by b308 »

The only issue with using the Kato chassis under a whitemetal body is wear. The kit is designed for the early Farish J94/08s which is a robust chassis under a metal body. the Kato chassis is designed for a light plastic body and the bearings are accordingly made for that. If you are going to use it a lot I'd suggest that using a later, 5 pole Farish chassis (the Pannier can be made to fit as well) is a better bet. The 3D print bodies are fine for the Kato chassis but I do feel that the large number of 009 locos that have appeared with skirts recently spoils a lot of otherwise good layouts. Locos with skirts were quite rare in real life (that's not saying they didn't exist, just few and far between) and so other than obvious ones like the Glynn valley tramway loco shown or some industrial settings I'd avoid them and try to use a proper steam loco chassis if you want to go down the kit route.
Chops

Post by Chops »

Mr. Kelly, I do hope you follow your instincts on this one. I think your satisfaction would be so much more realized. At least mine would. I sold off a bunch of my North American stock on eBay that I might better focus on British OO, which I find so much more interesting. I was able to clear about 724 quid. Never mind that eBay fees vacuumed up a fair portion of that. Promptly spent it on some more British stuff, and paid about double what you locals have to, for the international shipping. I do notice that items that go up in the "For Sale" section sell briskly.
Nessie rocks!
Jkelly

Post by Jkelly »

Thank you all very much for your replies. I don't doubt that PECO's recent showing of their decorated sample of 'Prince' and 'Princess' will be swaying others, and indeed myself, into 009! The fact they are producing a chassis as well will no doubt be very helpful to modellers! It is a fine model for sure. I am currently drawing up some track plans and once I'm satisfied I can break the good news to my dad that we will be remaking the baseboard!
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

It will be good. Watching the loco trundling along through some scenery...