O Gauge Wire Mesh Fencing

Discussion of large gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (1 gauge, O gauge, S gauge etc)
Richard08

Re: O Gauge Wire Mesh Fencing

Post by Richard08 »

Rodent mesh looks interesting too. As noted the size of the wire might be an issue. I can feel a series of trials coming on to see how various suggestions 'work' in place on the layout.
captrees

Post by captrees »

Richard08 wrote:Rodent mesh looks interesting too. As noted the size of the wire might be an issue. I can feel a series of trials coming on to see how various suggestions 'work' in place on the layout.
I use rodent mesh for all my 00 gauge fencing. Neatly snipped it fits into balsa wood or polystyrene without glue. For fencing you can leave as is, with painting or add slivers of wood or wooden fence posts. Also I cover it with printed stonework to make stone walls. I also use the aluminium mesh from an oven extractor fan filter.
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Richard08 wrote:The bottom photo looks promising - getting all the carpet off might be a tad time consuming. Goes off to lift corners of carpets 'just for a look'...
Hi Richard; I thought that the bottom (4th) image might be too coarse, even for O-scale.
Cheers
Chris
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

Thanks for all the replies again. I shall obtain some samples of the various options and see what they look like 'in the flesh' so to speak.
Cheers!
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

So, after going down the rabbit hole on 't web, I've ordered some of the insect mesh linked below. Getting some to have a look at proved a tad difficult (the local pet shop now think I'm a weirdo) so fingers cross. Cutting it so it's 'diamond' rather than 'square' is going to be a tad wasteful but such is life. Thanks for the tips everyone. BTW they do all sorts, even stuff that would work for N gauge. I'll endeavour to remember to post pics when it get here.
Cheers!
https://themeshcompany.com/product/mild ... 0mm-a3-x-3
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

And here it is. Obviously it needs rotating 45' and light spray of grey (not silver I think) primer and some chalks for effect. Shout out to The Mesh Company for speedy free delivery :-) And it's flat/unbent.
DSC01022.resized.JPG
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

To my eyes that doesn't need painting, unless it is glaringly silver in the real world it has the right degree of invisibility. If it has a bit of a sheen I would rub it over with a finger dipped in my pot of magic soot. Some black toner retrieved from a supposedly exhausted cartridge from a laser printer. Finger thoroughly washed straight after. It really is filthy stuff, we used to apply it mixed with a little grease to the underside of the paper tray just below the label saying "Don't Lift The Tray"
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

Yes, it's a tricky one. It perhaps doesn't show well in the photo but the mesh is something like 'gunmetal' in colour, perhaps a tad dark and bit glossy. I'm thinking lightening and matting (is that a word?) the colour will look a bit less intrusive. I guess there's only one way to find out!
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

It's surprising how little it shows up in real life. It shows up better at an angle to it, straight on it almost disappears. Kids on bikes were always crashing into the mesh gates of our sportsfield, had to fix large "Closed" signs on them so that they would see the gate was there.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

If anyone's still following this..... here's the first section of fence (minus guitar string wires in the angled heads - on order). It's obviously not in it's final resting place. The 8' posts are courtesy KS Laser Designs (who were kind enough to add them the their site when I asked about availability seperately), the mesh is painted with a light brushing of LMS Freight Grey (because I had a pot knocking about) with a dry brushing of Humbrol M29, the posts Humbrol M187. I had a bit of a battle with the superglue fixing the posts to the mesh, but a bit of 'ivy' sorts that ;-)
DSC01025.resized.JPG
Ironduke

Post by Ironduke »

nice work!
Regards
Rob
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

It's been a while, but finally the Stuff depot is finished, bar top wires and some titivation.
Attachments
DSC01032.resized.JPG
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

I really like it. Well done. It looks real.
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

Mountain wrote:I really like it. Well done. It looks real.
Thank you. It's come out way better that I'd expected!