Scale dilemma

Welcome to New Railway Modellers Forum. Read the Introduction and Terms and conditions of New Railway Modellers model railway forum. Introduce yourself to the members in this section.
Carld

Scale dilemma

Post by Carld »

Hello everyone ,I'm new to this so here goes ,I have recently retired and started collecting 00/1/76 Scale models to add to the few train sets I have had for a few years I have a spare room now the kids have flown so size for a decent layout ,I have just gambled and bought a unmarked haulage truck with red arrows decals it measures 7.5 inches long (19cm) I think this comes into the 1/24 Scale range can anyone help with this and would it look out of place with my other 00/1/76 Scale additions
Thanks
Bigmet

Re: Scale dilemma

Post by Bigmet »

At 19cm long the truck would be equivalent to 47.5 feet at 1:76, which is within the current maximum length permitted for articulated trucks, so it could be in scale. Width is more telling, if it is greater than 34mm, then not likely to be 1:76.

Model road vehicles tend to what I term 'vari-scale'. Because there is none of the track gauge and standard clearances that are required to make model railway vehicles operable together, the designers of road vehicle models are an undisciplined lot...
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

There are different types of model trucks with 'Red Arrows'. Is it possible to post a picture so to narrow things down somewhat?

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought
Carld

Post by Carld »

glencairn wrote:There are different types of model trucks with 'Red Arrows'. Is it possible to post a picture so to narrow things down somewhat?

Glencairn
Attachments
20211015_085252.jpg
20211015_085342.jpg
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

That's a North American design truck, so probably made at 1:87 which is correct for HO. Put it at the rear of a layout scene and it could provide some forced perspective.
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

As Bigmet says, it is a North American design Mack unit and trailer HO scale 1-87. I think it was made originally for the USA market when the Red Arrows were there.

The railway wagon is Hornby.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought
Carld

Post by Carld »

Thanks for the replies
I know the wagon is hornby I have 3 of them
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Be cautious with Hornby rolling stock and scale calculations. A long long time ago Triang gave up using their old Rovex plastic wheel sets. These had huge flanges and very much underscale wheel diameters. Their replacement was a 10-11mm diameter wheel with slightly smaller flanges. To accommodate this they increased the height of the axleboxes and adjusted the coupler height to fit. What they didn't do was correct the difference that it made to buffer height and as a consequence all Triang and Triang Hornby stock along with some Hornby stock have the solebar/buffer height 1-2mm too tall. Apart from fitting undersized wheels there isn't much you can do about it especially as Hornby bought (from Dapol) designs by Mainline and Airfix which had buffers set at prototype heights.
It's quite easy to see the cludge, look at the axlebox and it will have a border of flat plastic between the springs and the solebar. When Triang /Hornby re tooled the 4 wheel chassis with moulded nylon they perpetuated the old error in a material much harder to chop and glue. I had one or two items (4 wheel coaches brake-vans) that I wanted to keep, so I gave up on the plastic chassis and found some old diecast ones which were easier (not easy) to get closer to scale.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions