New Bachmann Deltic Issues……

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
OzzyOzborne

New Bachmann Deltic Issues……

Post by OzzyOzborne »

Hi

I bought a new Bachmann Deltic recently to run in my 12 x 4 layout. I have 2nd radius curves and the loco seems to catch the wheels on the body when going round…….then comes off the track. It looks like the body is too low and stops the wheels completing a turn……
It also struggles to go through some points ( all new) again looking too low?
Is there any method of creating more of a gap as the unit is very heavy and pushes them down…
Or am I missing something when setting it up?
I have been told 2nd radius is tight but manageable…….don’t think I can fit 3rd radius in on a 4, wide board….can I ?
Very new to the hobby so any advice or help is appreciated
Bigmet

Re: New Bachmann Deltic Issues……

Post by Bigmet »

This is a known difficulty with this model, because of the body shape and wheel diameter of the prototype. The wheel tops are inside the bodywork on the real thing.

Two choices with this model in your situation:
Return to vendor as not suitable for operation on set track curves and points (using 3rd radius won't help, and the standard set track point which is substitution 2nd radius will still be present on the layout),
Some internal alteration, requiring removal of the bogies from the chassis, and introduction of suitable spacing washers to increase the ride height of the body above the wheels.
OzzyOzborne

Re: New Bachmann Deltic Issues……

Post by OzzyOzborne »

Hi
Thanks……..
This explains it!
I wish I knew before purchasing.