Class 52, Western Sound Chips?

Discuss Dapol Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
centenary

Class 52, Western Sound Chips?

Post by centenary »

Does anyone know, which manufacturer's sound chip Dapol are fitting to their sound enabled class 52s, 4D-003-013S and above?

They fit their 'Imperium' brand to DCC enabled but I dont see an Imperium sound enabled one so presume they use an ESU \ Loksound \ other?
Bigmet

Re: Class 52, Western Sound Chips?

Post by Bigmet »

Not a clue, but in your shoes I would contact retailers with the model(s) of interest in stock, for this information. It's a very reasonable enquiry from a potential customer. There's a secondary benefit in doing this, you stand to discover retailers that have not the remotest interest in what they sell, or a poor attitude to customer service.
centenary

Post by centenary »

Bigmet wrote:Not a clue, but in your shoes I would contact retailers with the model(s) of interest in stock, for this information. It's a very reasonable enquiry from a potential customer. There's a secondary benefit in doing this, you stand to discover retailers that have not the remotest interest in what they sell, or a poor attitude to customer service.
I like your style!
Metadyneman

Post by Metadyneman »

I'm not entirely sure which decoder is in the 52, but Dapol have used Zimo decoders with "Mr. Soundguy" sound files in the past so I would perhaps speculate they may have done with the sound fitted Wizzos too!
If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side!
trainlover23

Post by trainlover23 »

Bigmet wrote:Not a clue, but in your shoes I would contact retailers with the model(s) of interest in stock, for this information. It's a very reasonable enquiry from a potential customer. There's a secondary benefit in doing this, you stand to discover retailers that have not the remotest interest in what they sell, or a poor attitude to customer service.
Rather than slate retailers why not suggest ringing Dapol direct??, People don`t seem able to any thing themselves these days, all ways asking rather than looking for themselves
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

If you live or are travelling close to Dapol's Factory/shop go in and ask them. Although they aren't made there the staff, particularly those who work behind the door at the back, seem to be pretty clued up on everything. I bought a 14xx motorised chassis from the bargain bin and asked a question about the wheels. I was ushered through the door, got an impromptu guided tour and was introduced to the guy who did the mods to adapt it to the type 7 motor. Question answered, motor tested and chassis lubricated. I probably struck lucky, but they seemed a friendly lot, happy to meet a customer.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

trainlover23 wrote:
Rather than slate retailers why not suggest ringing Dapol direct??, People don`t seem able to any thing themselves these days, all ways asking rather than looking for themselves
Because a healthy retail trade is of great value, and discovering and making purchases from those that do this work well supports that. The retailer is Dapol's contractual customer, and should have access to their full support as a result of their trading agreement. I cannot see any objection to asking for information from the business that is supposed to have it available, let's find out! I don't want just any old retailer, I only want to deal with those that are efficient and effective.

If Dapol moved to direct sales only of their own product, then I would suggest calling them. But so long as they distribute through retailers as their primary mode of market engagement, it is the retailers that have to perform in the end customer facing role. I very much doubt that Dapol are staffed and equipped to handle the volume of calls that would come their way if all their end customers began calling direct.
trainlover23

Post by trainlover23 »

Bigmet wrote:
trainlover23 wrote:
Because a healthy retail trade is of great value, and discovering and making purchases from those that do this work well supports that. The retailer is Dapol's contractual customer, and should have access to their full support as a result of their trading agreement. I cannot see any objection to asking for information from the business that is supposed to have it available, let's find out! I don't want just any old retailer, I only want to deal with those that are efficient and effective.

If Dapol moved to direct sales only of their own product, then I would suggest calling them. But so long as they distribute through retailers as their primary mode of market engagement, it is the retailers that have to perform in the end customer facing role. I very much doubt that Dapol are staffed and equipped to handle the volume of calls that would come their way if all their end customers began calling direct.

A rather jaundiced view. I can`t imagine Dapol getting swamped with calls. If they are the manufacturer it is their interests to help people
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

They certainly aren't going to get swamped with passers by dropping in, unless you make a decision to go through Chirk not around it as the signs direct you, you will miss them completely. They moved out of the old mill in Llangollen because the visitors never came. "Their" car park was more useful as an overflow for the one at the LLangollen Railway.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
trainlover23

Post by trainlover23 »

centenary wrote:
I like your style!

Style ???????????
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

trainlover23 wrote:...A rather jaundiced view. I can`t imagine Dapol getting swamped with calls. If they are the manufacturer it is their interests to help people
Lack of imagination is a problem.
trainlover23

Post by trainlover23 »

Bigmet wrote:
trainlover23 wrote:...A rather jaundiced view. I can`t imagine Dapol getting swamped with calls. If they are the manufacturer it is their interests to help people
Lack of imagination is a problem.

What ?????????