Question: Regarding Bachmann Type 55 Deltic D9016 “Gordon Highlander”

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
Arnhemjim

Question: Regarding Bachmann Type 55 Deltic D9016 “Gordon Highlander”

Post by Arnhemjim »

Ladies and Gentlemen of the Forum
In way of an introduction, being both a novice and from the colonies, at this juncture am in predominately “receive only mode”, i.e. listen and learn (it’s a steep grade). However, that having been said, believe that I’ve been blessed with a pair of phenomenal pieces of luck, backed up by patience and planning.

Being of Scottish ancestry, and fascinated by model trains from a young age (fortunately never infected, let alone addicted), last December (2020) I spotted an intriguing offering on the Internet. It was a OO gauge Bachmann (31-280) classic LMS Royal Scot Class 4-6-0 6P 6100 Series, specifically engine 6106 “Gordon Highlander” (my family name), matching 4000 gal tender, and corridor brake coach. Unboxed, but in near new condition, at a very reasonable price. For anyone inclined as to more excruciating details see; https://arnhemjim.blogspot.com/2020/10/ ... ander.html

Looking for a positive and healthy form of therapy during self-imposed isolation in the pandemic, was able to acquire same. Well the initial working has subsequently grown to a respectable rake of six LMS coaches (all matching maroon livery), along with my late in life education in British railway history and terminology. The learning curve has been analogous to the incline of the Shap.

With the new knowledge came another, at least to me, extremely fortuitous acquisition. This time it was another Bachmann OO gauge product. It is an uncatalogued limited edition of an iconic British Rail Type 55 Deltic No. D9016 “Gordon Highlander” diesel locomotive (DCC ready) in its original two-tone green livery. As this is already a long missive, the totally addicted “in-patient” to the hobby, if inclined, can read additional boring details at; https://arnhemjim.blogspot.com/2021/08/ ... otive.html

My initial brief question to the forum, is does anyone know the specific year(s) this set was available, and how many were produced? Sincere advanced appreciation for any forthcoming information.

Regards and Slàinte Mhòr!
Arnhem Jim
Arizona Territory
Bigmet

Re: Question: Regarding Bachmann Type 55 Deltic D9016 “Gordon Highlander”

Post by Bigmet »

I know nothing specific of this model, but a business called 'TMC' was and is very active in renumbering and renaming stock RTR models. Possibly one of theirs?
http://www.themodelcentre.co.uk/class-55/cat_28.html
Arnhemjim

Re: Question: Regarding Bachmann Type 55 Deltic D9016 “Gordon Highlander”

Post by Arnhemjim »

Hello Bigmet,
Sincere thanks for your prompt reply; you have solved my mystery. TMC (The Model Centre), on their web site, specifically advertises;
TMC Bachmann D9016 Gordon Highlander Class 55 Deltic Locomotive.
£125.00
It is apparently sold out/discontinued, as their [More Info] icon in the ad when clicked goes to a “Not Found” page. Will contact store to see what records of past sales they may have retained on file. In any event, have acquired one of the locomotives from Olivia’s Trains, and it is magnificent.
Best regards and stay safe,
Arnhem Jim