Bachmann Class 24/1 help

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
robinrick57

Bachmann Class 24/1 help

Post by robinrick57 »

or more on building a BR layout in the US. I have one of the newly released 24/1's. Purchased from the UK. It is the DCC+ sound version. Yesterday it stopped running in a very strange way. It would begin to move, sounds would work. Loco moved may be an inch and then everything stopped. I could repeat this but each time movement was an inch or less. I figured the only way to see what was happening was removing the shell. Of course its much more difficult than the owners info sheet suggests. Is there a 'trick' to this? its much more difficult than my 15 year old Bachmann 25. I am in my third 'put the loco down and walk away' time out. If I was in the UK I'd just return it. Any suggestions?

And FWIW I'm convinced that the issue is a wire somehow tangled in the drive that is stalling everything.

Thanks

Richard E.
Bigmet

Re: Bachmann Class 24/1 help

Post by Bigmet »

Not had sight of the new version. Is it 'remove marked screws and ease body off'? If so with the screws out I would go around with some slips of card to keep the body from re-engaging any lug/recess arrangements. My most recent Bach diesel design was the class 47 (!) and that was and remains awkward as the floppy ends of the plastic chassis detailing moulding clip into the body ends and are difficult to release and then a TPIA to re-engage.

Top suspect causes for what you are seeing.
All connections to main board are clip on, and one or more is intermittent.
Pick ups/wheel tyres filthy.
Decoder not fully 'home' on socket leading to intermittent contact.
Poor flow soldering of the onboard components leading to intermittent connections.

If none of these, they haven't gone and put a polyfuse on it have they?
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

There are 6 screws to undo; one beneath the coupling at either end and two accessed through each bogie; not the ones at the end of the bogies - those secure the body weight to the chassis
Peterm

Post by Peterm »

Check those wheels and track. Give all a thorough clean and try again. You never know, it might save you wasting your time. New loco's often have wheels that need cleaning and sound loco's are drawing more current so conk out easier.
Pete.
robinrick57

Post by robinrick57 »

Thanks guys. An update. Yep got all 6 screws. I still cannot get the shell off and am even more confused. Loco runs fine on my DC test circle. Lights and sounds work. Transfere to DCC rails. Loco sounds run thru start up sequence fine. Apply power and loco moves... may be an inch. Loco and sound stop. Then it will not respond at all unless I turn the power off and then on again.... then it starts again and runs 1 inch. It does this wherever it is placed on the layout. So its not the track or wheels. Reset decoder. Same result. I'm not sure what I expect to see when I get the body shell removed......but I'll have another go tomorrow. Next plan....throw at wall :lol:
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

That begins to sound like a fault on the decoder has to be added as a possibility. Some decoders do respond very poorly to brief interruptions in track supply, but this one requiring complete power off before it will restart is something I have not seen.

If - once the body is off - you can check connections and decoder seating and verify that track power supply to the decoder is reliable and the performance does not become reliable, you are definitely in return to vendor territory. Same applies if the body will not come off.

Was it an overseas purchase from a UK vendor? They are liable for the cost of return and refund.
robinrick57

Post by robinrick57 »

Well I'm up to 9 pieces of old business cards and the body shell is still clinging to the guts of the loco. Im of course beginning to chip the paint on the pale green waist band.

I think I'll call Bachmann in the UK next week and see what they say. Warranty does say return to seller but I think it would make more sense to return it direct to them. Who knows how they will respond.

And for anyone interested this run ^ has a zimo 644 and an 11x15 speaker. To my ears the sound is (was) better than the zimo and larger speaker I purchased from the UK and installed in my old class 25.

Again thanks for trying to help.