All new class 47 tooling from Bachmann

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
Bigmet

All new class 47 tooling from Bachmann

Post by Bigmet »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pQ8hSJ4EsQ&t=23s

Pretty clear that Bachmann have decided to raise their game, to compete with the recent entrants (SLW, Accurascale, etc.) that have set out their stalls with the claim of 'better than previously available'.
SRman

Re: All new class 47 tooling from Bachmann

Post by SRman »

This also seems to be a direct challenge to Heljan, who also have their all-new class 47 on the way.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

I'd propose that both Heljan and Bachmann have kicked off on development of new and better models in response to the challenges from SLW, Accurascale and Hattons.

Heljan announced their new 47 two years ago, while Bach have chosen to keep quiet: if their claim of 'shipping now' is proven correct by going on sale in October 2021, I'd guess this project has been over two years in development. That suggests to me very strongly that it was specifically the Hattons and Accurascale announcements in 2018 - each going after a model in Bachmann's range and advertising a significantly enhanced specification - that initiated this.

I am just a bystander on this one: my Bachmann D1500 bought for £39.95 back in 2007 still looks like the first Brush type 4 I saw, burbling away at KX. 'Fiddled with' to drop the ride height and lightly weathered on the running gear (it represents a new loco, just ex-works) and it performs beautifully; it 'stops the clock' in my layout operations' passage through time as it runs into my KX, and never actually pulls a train!

Now, if one of the many competitors wants to do a correct shape version of the Brush type 2 (Class 30) I am all ears...
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

I am with Bigmet on this one, the early Bachmann locos are as good as needs be for anything I am likely to do. I appreciate the attention to fine detail but I would not spend the money on something that I am lkely to break fragile bits off, the careful handling necessary with these locomotives is not something I am good at.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
centenary

Post by centenary »

Ive built a couple of 1:72 scale Royal Navy ships in my time and the thing is, you have to be very careful not to break anything off when handling things in this scale. OO scale is 1:76 so not much difference.

Myself, Id rather manufacturers concentrated on very slow and smooth running characteristics rather than the jerky movement you do see from time to time. Scale fidelity is good but I think there are other things they should be getting right rather than being able to see all the rivets, nuts and bolts in OO.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

I've never checked but is the riveting detail on the prototype consistent from one example to the next. I've not seen drawings where there is anything more than the riveting line, the spec for a rivet and the spacing, leaving it to the assembly shop to know how to do the job.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

You would need to specify the date and class of product.

Structural frame, prime mover, electrical gear etc. the spec. is very detailed, and inspection at each stage to ensure conformance to design and work standard.

The visible external shell, much looser, workshop custom and practise until relatively recently. The Brush 4 a case in point, visible cosmetic differences on the cab fronts between the Brush and Crewe constructed units.
dubdee1000

Post by dubdee1000 »

Agree completely. My eyesight isn't what it was, but its still fairly reasonable and all the details that seem craved for seem barely noticeable, if at all. One exception being the headlights - they seem to have made really decent fist of these.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

dubdee1000 wrote:... all the details that seem craved for seem barely noticeable, if at all. One exception being the headlights - they seem to have made a really decent fist of these.
I too am of the 'make it the right shape, do the difficult livery stuff well, give it a competent mechanism' school of thought: essentially, the priority is to always do the fundamentals really well.

But sometimes quite small details really make a difference.

Model glazing for example improved very significantly about a decade ago: I recall looking at the all new Hornby L1 sample at a show, and being able to see through both sets of side windows to what was behind with very little distortion; on models with large windows this does make for superior appearance. Still impressed with the cab glazing of Dapol's class 21, however the side windows of the engine room are bad old days 'lensing' style, but a wipe of the usual oily filth on this class conceals that!

And I am a sucker for a freely moving hinged fall plate, that actually moves on my 'goods yard' track sections as the Bachmann tender locos slowly amble past.

Some object to the expense of sprung buffers, but the difference in appearance over one piece mouldings or castings is significant. (And that's before you reposition the couplers so that the bufferheads move on contact when backing on to couple up.)
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Another Youtube overview of Bachmann's doings, there's quite a lot on the 47 and 40, but the little G5 0-4-4T also gets a look in, and oh yum!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpXSU7PmaW0