Sand furnace. What, where, how?

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
End2end

Sand furnace. What, where, how?

Post by End2end »

I have a Sand Furnace model kit that states on the box "For grading and drying sand for locomotive sand boxes".
I know nothing of these furnaces. Can some please explain where they would be positioned, how they would fill the loco boxes and another other information about them in general?
I did look through a few of my books but its not mentioned anywhere so far. :?
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Bufferstop

Re: Sand furnace. What, where, how?

Post by Bufferstop »

They were pretty simple (crude) affairs for drying a bulk load of sand. Positioning would depend on the arrangement for delivering sand, if it came in by rail it would be close enough to a siding for a wagon load to be parked next to it, if there was a gravity coaling stage, then it would be next to it. The dried sand was collected by hand either in a wheelbarrow or by a man carrying what looked like a giant funnel oil can. It would be poured from the can into the sandboxes wherever they were placed on the loco, under the running plate, atop the boiler cladding looking like a second dome, below the cab floor or even on the cab floor for the crew to trip over.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

The sand furnace was typically adjacent an access road between the coaling, watering and turntable area, and the shed roads or sidings where locos were parked awaiting their next turn, so that supply was near where the locos were standing; and in some cases so that a flange actuated treadle could also give the sand drying hopper a wallop as locos moved past, to help the sand drop through the riddles as it dried. Drying was essential for free flow in the loco sanding system, but the grading through the riddles if anything even more important. A stone jammed in a sand hopper gate or the sanding pipe might mean replacement or 'surgery'.

Some locations ceased using sand before the end of steam, BR taking up use of abrasive fines sourced from Scunthorpe steelworks. Among the benefits was that it was both ready graded and needed no drying, and could be brought in using Presflo type wagons eliminating the manual handling . ('Top Shed' by Peter Townend pub. Ian Allan, p79.)

There is continuing research into the best material to use for this purpose, my late Father in law who was a considerable authority on abrasives and tribology, only a couple of years past drew my attention to a quite recent paper from his alma mater: https://eprints.whiterose.ac.uk/139102/ ... %20ARC.pdf
End2end

Post by End2end »

Thanks members. That was exactly the kind of information I was after. :D
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
End2end

Post by End2end »

Thinking about what colours I would paint it, would the sand furnace be owned by the railway company or a private company?
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Railway company property, and in their loco yard. The livery would be filth (ash, soot, coal dust, rust, glued down by the cylinder oil from exhaust steam) other than within two weeks of erection or a complete repaint. (Everywhere except the Great Western, where as everyone knows, the company servants were out voluntarily every night polishing the rails, renewing the piano black French lacquer on the sleepers and washing the ballast, having left their regular place of work sparkling.)
End2end

Post by End2end »

Bigmet wrote:(Everywhere except the Great Western, where as everyone knows, the company servants were out voluntarily every night polishing the rails, renewing the piano black French lacquer on the sleepers and washing the ballast, having left their regular place of work sparkling.)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That really made me laugh!

Thanks Bigmet. I'll paint it in railway colours then grubby it up nice and filthy.
End2end

Nope......
Still laughing :lol:
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

Hawick's sand drying house is the building to the right hand side immediately in front of the shed in this photo (may be subject to copyright, so only the link is here!)

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... ajaxserp=0
End2end

Post by End2end »

Thanks Ex-Pat.
That picture oozes atmosphere too, with some very Interesting details. Especially the rather large complex telegraph pole the different track inlays and pits. :)
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building