Reversing Loop Within an Oval.

Basic electrical and electronics, such as DC/Analog control.
Journeyman

Reversing Loop Within an Oval.

Post by Journeyman »

The next step is to wire up the Reversing Loop.

Am I right in thinking that if I insulate the section between the two sets of points using insulated fishplates (IRJ’s) I can wire in a DPDT switch to reverse the polarity in that section?
The process would then be drive into the section stop. Reverse the polarity of the section, reverse the direction on the controller and then drive out?

I didn’t have enough rail to draw in the sidings but you cab see the four points leading to them.
HRC.jpg
If there is a simpler way to do this or you can see a problem please let me know?

Cheers, Dave.
Bufferstop

Re: Reversing Loop Within an Oval.

Post by Bufferstop »

That's the way to do it. If you have illuminated carriages, either they must all fit between the two sets of insulators, or you can wire them up as a semi permanent rake with power supplied from one end. HST style trains with a power car both end also need to fit.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

To make the trains stopping make sense, add a signal near the isolation areas so that trains see the signal and need to stop, and if one has a switch for the signal next to the switch to change the polarity it will all be easy to use and give a pleasing visual effect on the layout.
Journeyman

Post by Journeyman »

Thanks for the clarification Buffer, I had not thought of the carriages causing shorts but of cause they will, so now I’m aware of that problem I can avoid it, thanks.

Was thinking of a small station halt Mountain and your suggestion of incorporating a signal is spot on.

Thank you both for the great feed back. :)

Dave.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

I am glad it helped. If one is in the steam area and modelling a GWR line, most small halts were at ground or near to ground level and about half a coach in length. Only more frequently used stations were at common platform level. If a small village station was relitively well used they would build a small platform at half height. Many of these half height platforms still survive today in regular use. Platforms like Llangennech near Llanelli in Wales are classic examples of this.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Journeyman wrote:...
...The process would then be drive into the section stop. Reverse the polarity of the section, reverse the direction on the controller and then drive out?...
Minor amendment.The process starts with 'Ensure DPDT switch setting matches the polarity of the route the train will enter on'; drive into section etc..
Journeyman

Post by Journeyman »

Thanks again Mountain yes it will be steam in the 1950's and an affiliate of GWR. Will have to ride over and have a look at Llangennech are the platforms the same at Bynea?

Thanks Bigmet, will have to work out some visual to remember which way is which on the switch :).

Cheers, Dave.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

No. Bynea platforms are normal height.

There were a few other half height platforms.

Also we used to have passengers ask to be dropped off at old round level platforms which were officially not in use. We were not allowed to do that.

I had some wierd events on the railway where one of them was due to a stupid situation where a certain local city council in the West Wales area acted against their very own people who wanted to have an old station reopened. The press said the station was going to be re-opened, and I saw passengers waiting amongst the weeds on one of the old platforms as vandals had broken the old railings in the past. (Didn't they notice that the platform and the route down to it was waste height in weeds?)

Another station which was a nice old station but it never had enough support to re-open it just because so few locals live there was Glanrhyd. Once unofficially, but to uprevent the people from harming themselves, (The train as to stop there due to the nearby crossing) we had to open the doors as a small family of passengers had hold of the trains handrails and were on the trains step expecting to board! Had we not seen them it could have been a disaster, as most traincrew may not have looked. I do not believe these passengers were local so they did not realize the station wasn't in use. The platform itself was kept in fairly good condition by the landowner whose house was the old station building, so I can see why they thought it was still in use, though much of the platform when I last saw it was a nice mowed lawn.
A few attempts were made in the past to reopen it. Just sad that there were not enough people living nearby. The old station can be seen if one is driving in the area as a level crossing crosses the line on a small country road (In use so take care and note that trains will stop and sound their horn and then proceed. Do not be tempted to drive across if one sees the train stop). It is quite a pretty little dissused station if one ever sees it.
Glanrhyd has a substantially overengineered newish bridge as back in the 1980's a DMU was crossing over the old bridge there during a flood and the bridge collapsed and I believe a few drowned? If I recall it was around 1987? I am going by memory.

Some old platform remains can occasionally still be seen. Wolfs Castle Halt (Dissused) used to be noticeable on the Fishguard Harbour branch, and it is a half height platform, but there were also ground level platforms like Welsh Hook Halt and Jordanston Halt along the route (Both dissused). No public access to these listed above on the Fishguard line, though Wolfs Castle Halt does have a nearby road bridge where one could view the old platforms from.
We used to see Goodwick Station which had been abandoned and left just like the day it had closed over 40 odd years before complete with its furniature and various other items like official books etc... I have been told a brand new station is there now and the old wooden building may no longer be there.

If one has a copy of a book called "British Railways Past and Present. West Wales" (Number 38) turn to page 36 and one will see Beavers Hill Halt, which is a lovely one to model. It is a wooden platform set at just below half height. It is a short platform with only one ramp. It is right near Beavers Hill Crossing. Another crossing to beware for drivers. If one sees a train stopping, you stop as the train has to stop before it proceeds. Such crossings can be confusing for motorists because they assume the train may be stopping to let them cross which is not true. The train has to stop as part of local railway safety regulations. Just be aware of this if driving to visit the area.
Journeyman

Post by Journeyman »

That’s terrific info Mounting the book you mentioned is that by Terry Gough?
There are a few copies for sale so I’ll order one shortly.
You are an old railway man, my grandfather and uncle also worked for the railway.
Grandad was secretary of the “No1 Branch of the Railwayman’s Union”

Cheers, Dave.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Journeyman wrote:...Thanks Bigmet, will have to work out some visual to remember which way is which on the switch...
In the days before DCC reverse loop modules eliminated the need to do such things, my choice was colour coding the DPDT switch. What with a long naval tradition in the family, red for port, green for starboard was natural, assigned as the two junctions lay relative to the operating position where the switch was located. I also had the reversing loop switch action horizontal left/right, distinct from all the vertical section control switches. (Bear of small brain and all that, anything to make recognition of the function clear.)
Journeyman

Post by Journeyman »

Thanks Bigmet, Port Starboard makes sense to me having spent most of my life at sea in one way or another and the horizontal orientation will help thinking, forward and backing up.

Mounting, book now ordered :).

Dave.
Journeyman

Post by Journeyman »

Mountain wrote:No. Bynea platforms are normal height.

There were a few other half height platforms.

Also we used to have passengers ask to be dropped off at old round level platforms which were officially not in use. We were not allowed to do that.

I had some wierd events on the railway where one of them was due to a stupid situation where a certain local city council in the West Wales area acted against their very own people who wanted to have an old station reopened. The press said the station was going to be re-opened, and I saw passengers waiting amongst the weeds on one of the old platforms as vandals had broken the old railings in the past. (Didn't they notice that the platform and the route down to it was waste height in weeds?)

Another station which was a nice old station but it never had enough support to re-open it just because so few locals live there was Glanrhyd. Once unofficially, but to uprevent the people from harming themselves, (The train as to stop there due to the nearby crossing) we had to open the doors as a small family of passengers had hold of the trains handrails and were on the trains step expecting to board! Had we not seen them it could have been a disaster, as most traincrew may not have looked. I do not believe these passengers were local so they did not realize the station wasn't in use. The platform itself was kept in fairly good condition by the landowner whose house was the old station building, so I can see why they thought it was still in use, though much of the platform when I last saw it was a nice mowed lawn.
A few attempts were made in the past to reopen it. Just sad that there were not enough people living nearby. The old station can be seen if one is driving in the area as a level crossing crosses the line on a small country road (In use so take care and note that trains will stop and sound their horn and then proceed. Do not be tempted to drive across if one sees the train stop). It is quite a pretty little dissused station if one ever sees it.
Glanrhyd has a substantially overengineered newish bridge as back in the 1980's a DMU was crossing over the old bridge there during a flood and the bridge collapsed and I believe a few drowned? If I recall it was around 1987? I am going by memory.

Some old platform remains can occasionally still be seen. Wolfs Castle Halt (Dissused) used to be noticeable on the Fishguard Harbour branch, and it is a half height platform, but there were also ground level platforms like Welsh Hook Halt and Jordanston Halt along the route (Both dissused). No public access to these listed above on the Fishguard line, though Wolfs Castle Halt does have a nearby road bridge where one could view the old platforms from.
We used to see Goodwick Station which had been abandoned and left just like the day it had closed over 40 odd years before complete with its furniature and various other items like official books etc... I have been told a brand new station is there now and the old wooden building may no longer be there.

If one has a copy of a book called "British Railways Past and Present. West Wales" (Number 38) turn to page 36 and one will see Beavers Hill Halt, which is a lovely one to model. It is a wooden platform set at just below half height. It is a short platform with only one ramp. It is right near Beavers Hill Crossing. Another crossing to beware for drivers. If one sees a train stopping, you stop as the train has to stop before it proceeds. Such crossings can be confusing for motorists because they assume the train may be stopping to let them cross which is not true. The train has to stop as part of local railway safety regulations. Just be aware of this if driving to visit the area.
Just to let you know Mountain the book arrived this morning and is brilliant, some of the stations are how I remember them as a kid.

Lots of details and buildings I will eventually use.

Thanks for the heads up.
Dave.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

I thought you would like it, especially if you are from the area or have visited.
Journeyman

Post by Journeyman »

Mountain wrote:I thought you would like it, especially if you are from the area or have visited.
Yes it was a very nostalgic trip Mountain, I grew up in Milford so knew the Station well.
One of my first memories is going down there to meet Grandad off the train. We were one of the few people on our street to have a car so was astounded as a kid to find that trains went backwards just as easily as forwards! Probably one of those Class 57's shown on page 52.

Thanks again, Dave.