How can I rectify my mess please.

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
Aragorn

How can I rectify my mess please.

Post by Aragorn »

I'm not a railway modeller but have a large slot car layout. I watched a few videos on painting rock scenery and opted for leopard spot washing (lukes aps video). I watered down some ocra and light brown which went on exactly as planned and this did mimic what was shown in the video. When I put on the darker (more watered down) brown, again it mimicked that of the example in the video. However, since I've added the watered down black, it all seems to have gone wrong. I do have some nice contrasting colours but it's looking more like the insides of a large minced pasty rather than rocks or a cliff face.

Has anyone got any suggestions on how I can save this with perhaps lighter colours or even better, could I just use a solid colour to get everything back to scratch so I can start again possibly with a different technique using greys/whites and blacks.

Thanks in advance from a complete newcomer in modelling scenery.
End2end

Re: How can I rectify my mess please.

Post by End2end »

Try using plain water to thin out what's already there?
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

If you've only used water based acrylics you should be able to remove it all and try again. Warm water and an old toothbrush are the basic tools with a few drops of....quite a few things are recommended by different people, various disinfectants, the additives used to make whites whiter, as long as there's no solvents involved try any thing that is available. if that doesn't work try IPA (iso propyl alcohol) or meths. You aren't necessarily trying to remove it all just reduce it to the level of a matt primer. Try again. When train fayres and boot sales get going again collect a few tatty plastic kit buildings and some bashed up old Triang/Hornby rolling stock to use as guinea pigs for painting techniques.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Journeyman

Post by Journeyman »

Not having any experience of modelling I ran some experiments with rocks made from rotten wood and bark. Also a couple of stone walls carved out of mahogany on my test track.
First I gave everything a coat of primer undercoat then painted the rocks dark grey mixed using the primary colours, when that was dry I painted a very dark wash that went into the irregularities and while still wet wiped it off, once the whole lot was dry I used artist pastels to add highlights, pastel can be mixed like paint by blending one colour into another.

You could try that with your rocks, pastel is very versatile. Don’t be afraid to experiment.

Dave.
Dublo

Post by Dublo »

I find that dry brushing can also be a useful way of introducing high lighted areas of differing colours.