Threading Pulleys to raise Baseboard

Discussion of model railway baseboard design and construction
Captain Mike

Threading Pulleys to raise Baseboard

Post by Captain Mike »

I have tried searching for the answer to this question but so far have been unable to find the definitive response.
I have a layout in then garage, that I would like to be able to raise and lower on a pulley/winch system. I envisage lifting points at each corner of the baseboard. Can someone please advise me on the types of pulley needed both at baseboard and ceiling joist level, (single or double) and the sequence of threading the lifting cord/cable in order to get a level lift and lower. Thanks in advance.
Kentishman

Re: Threading Pulleys to raise Baseboard

Post by Kentishman »

Hello Mike,
Railway Modeller, Feb 2014, has an article on Lulworth, a 15'x3' O gauge garage layout on pages 97 to 101. Page 100 gives details of the ceiling storage system using a Thule roof box hoist for removing the top boxes from car roof racks. There is a lot of useful, relevant information for you there. On the other hand, you might also consider yachting chandlers for pulleys, winches, cleats, ropes and cords etc.
b308

Post by b308 »

If you google "clothes airer" you'll get links to those who supply the winches that used to be a common sight in 50s kitchens:

http://www.castinstyle.co.uk/section.ph ... bcc5b9391f
Captain Mike

Post by Captain Mike »

Thank you gentlemen for your suggestions. What I should have said in my original post was that somewhere on the web I had seen the method for using a single cable to achieve a level lift of a platform, and that is what I wanted to reproduce. However, the Thule system seems the ideal solution as it includes everything that is needed to achieve my aim and that's the way I will go. Thanks again.
RAF96

Post by RAF96 »

Ikea were selling old style pulley-raise clothes airers cheap and Lidl were selling bike hoists also cheap.
To get the single point of action raising system requested you need to look at professional board lifting systems on offer and work out how they thread their pulleys.
I once had a Conway camping trailer the heavy rigid roof of which raised on a Teleflex jacking system at each corner operated by a single handle. How the mechanix were interlinked I have no idea.
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester
wpslo

Post by wpslo »

A bit late to the party but here is possibility:
Racor - PHL-R, Garage Ceiling Storage Rack Lift
Brand: Racor

And is this the diagram you sought ? :
[https://i.pinimg.com/originals/4b/d7/32 ... 9a1.jpgimg][/img]