Hi all

Welcome to New Railway Modellers Forum. Read the Introduction and Terms and conditions of New Railway Modellers model railway forum. Introduce yourself to the members in this section.
LoNER

Hi all

Post by LoNER »

Coming out of the last year's restrictions and living inside London's inner ring I made a couple of decisions. a) Give up the idea of the classic Saab convertible - Just not practical to have parked outside and paying the ULEZ charge every day it actually moved, not to mention the lack of 'green'.
b) Finally spend some time utilising the stock of oo gauge I've accumulated over the years in order to prepare for future hobby interest.
I shall be pestering for advice on the 6x4 board threads (or be starting one of my own), as that's the size I can accommodate at present. I'm no great shakes at wiring and joinery but I have managed quite good plastic kit and card scratch building in the past so I'm quite fired-up by the prospects. As you might tell from the username I have always had a love for all things apple green. Given that I've lived in different parts of the old LNER network I'm currently considering where to geolocate my layout. Scotland near Dundee and the Fens are the current main candidates.
# It's nice being retired!
Bufferstop

Re: Hi all

Post by Bufferstop »

Hi, welcome to the forum, no shortage of advice around here. Don't rush into 6x4 it's ok for a tail chaser but comes with some down sides, as a sheet of wood you can handle it. Put a layout on it and it's a B' to move and it needs access along at least two long sides and one end when you are using it. Have a good look at what other people end up with, but most of all, have fun!
John W
aka Bufferstop
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
LoNER

Post by LoNER »

Cheers Bufferstop. I'm aware of the plus and minus issues around 6x4 and have been lurking on this board and RM for a few months weighing up the options. This will be a means of getting up and running quickly as I've had experience of Forth Bridge projects in the past and the inertia hump that can happen. I will be posting up my plan for comment / advice soon in the appropriate board.
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

LoNER wrote: Scotland near Dundee and the Fens are the current main candidates.
Welcome to the forum LoNER.

Is Arbroath near enough to Dundee to base a model on, with those lovely overhead bridges/passages as per:

https://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/F ... 30#p690922 ?

With 6 x 4 you would be able to make one of the curves into the station quite interesting.
Last edited by Ex-Pat on Mon May 17, 2021 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

Sorry! -Double post.
End2end

Post by End2end »

Hi and welcome to the forum LoNER. :)
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Hi LoNER. Welcome on board.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Does apple green have to adorn an LNER loco to be considered acceptable? One can have quite a nice layout using 7mm scale narrow gauge in the size of a 6x4.

Though LNER locomotives do look nice. Especially a lovely apple green N2 or a lovely little J72. :) Bliss!
LoNER

Post by LoNER »

Thanks all. Ex-Pat's idea about Arbroath would give me an excuse for fish vans behind my V2 but I was thinking of something more 'inland' with a barley, barrel and coal shunting requirement :wink:
"Does apple green have to adorn an LNER loco to be considered acceptable? One can have quite a nice layout using 7mm scale narrow gauge in the size of a 6x4."
No - weathered black ( with, or without, red banding) is acceptable. Current stock includes both N2 and J72. Also J39, J83, D49.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

It is wize to keep to smaller locomotives (Or meduim) on a 6x4 as they look more in keeping with the limited space.

While larger experess locomotives are very tempting, somehow they tend to look a bit out of place unless one has a lot of space and a long rake of coaches to run behind them.

I do take the art of compromise to the extreme in that I stick to little 4 wheel coaches with shortish 0-4-0's and the occasional 0-6-0, but I am turning 180 degree corners on a 2ft wide board width on the same width track as 00 except in a larger scale, so I need to ensure the scene will be at least visually pleasing, but there is no set rule to say one must... If it works for you then go for it! If one wants a large express loco go for it! As long as it will run on ones curves...

Incidently... Curves. Probably best to use 2nd or 3rd radius curves on ones main running lines and limit any 1st radius for the odd indistrial siding, as some locos and rolling stock in 00 gauge do not like running on 1st radius curves...

I only have one apple green loco. (Close to apple green though it maybe a shade or two out). It started life as "Percy" and has become my loco number 2. :D