Hello from America

Welcome to New Railway Modellers Forum. Read the Introduction and Terms and conditions of New Railway Modellers model railway forum. Introduce yourself to the members in this section.
sudoggie

Re: Hello from America

Post by sudoggie »

Mountain wrote:I often find nice Triang and Hornby items on Elaines Trains (See her website). She specializes in Triang and Triang/Hornby so it is worth a look, and she does test everythig and gives a good description of any faults if there are any. I don't know if she posts to the USA but you can always ask.
Thanks for the heads up.

Elaine just emailed me to say that she is happy to ship to the US.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

sudoggie wrote:
Mountain wrote:I often find nice Triang and Hornby items on Elaines Trains (See her website). She specializes in Triang and Triang/Hornby so it is worth a look, and she does test everythig and gives a good description of any faults if there are any. I don't know if she posts to the USA but you can always ask.
Thanks for the heads up.

Ah. That is good. :)
Chops

Post by Chops »

N.A. Blech.
Nessie rocks!
Chops

Post by Chops »

Mountain wrote:
sudoggie wrote:
Thanks for the heads up.

I, too, will take a look-see. Thanks for the tip. :)
Nessie rocks!
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

sudoggie wrote:I stopped in at a local hobby shop (Tammie's Hobbies in Beaverton) since I happened to be in the neighborhood. Pretty large operation with a significant area devoted to model rail. They have virtually everything one might expect so long as it's N. American. ...
I feel strongly about the human aspect, and we should visit every hobby shop we come across.
Often enough while the store may not stock what we want, the staff may be working there because they are engaged in the modeling hobby, and for that reason may know someone who shares your interest.
It's all about networking amongst humans (which is, after all, why we are all here at NRMF!)
Cheers
Chris
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

sudoggie wrote:... comprehensively answered my questions over email--they do ship to America, they will deduct VAT, ...
...but you will (probably) pay hefty customs duties, so we may as well include VAT as a first approximation to total cost.
That said, my limited experience is that prompt and informative replies to email is a good measure of good service in actually shipping the product.
Cheers
Chris
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Chops wrote:
Mountain wrote:
sudoggie wrote:
Thanks for the heads up.

I, too, will take a look-see. Thanks for the tip. :)
Yes. I found her to be honest in her descriptions and good to talk to. She also has quite a range of things to look through from Hornby service sheets to stuff that I did not know existed... It is interesting to know what she will have in next.
One does have to be quick if one sees something you like as often some interesting things can dissapear quick.