Replacing the motor in a Dapol 14xxx engine

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
Jaycee068

Replacing the motor in a Dapol 14xxx engine

Post by Jaycee068 »

I have a 14xxx with a dead motor/jammed drive chain. Does anyone know how to remove the motor from the chassis? I've got the bodywork off.

Ta.
Jeremy

I know just enough to be dangerous
Bigmet

Re: Replacing the motor in a Dapol 14xxx engine

Post by Bigmet »

Before dismantling further is there still a circuit from wheels one side to wheels the other side ? A meter on ohms is the ideal test method, but a 9V battery, some wire and a 12V light bulb to create a simple test circuit will do. (Or if a DCC decoder is installed, try a reset and readdress on programme track.)
Jaycee068

Post by Jaycee068 »

Thanks for the prompt reply. I've had the chassis on the track and tested with a multimeter. I get 12v across the motor terminals with the power dialled right up so I think there's definitely power coming through the pickups. No life from the motor though. I'll check the ohms and see if there's anything going thro the motor itself.
Jeremy

Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Afraid I can't help, in fact I had to google Dapol N gauge 14xx, didn't realise they did one and wanted to be sure this wasn't a missposted query for the "built by everyone but Bachmann", 00 scale one.

Rotate the motor by hand whilst checking for continuity, some motors are series wound and will either indicate continuity or not, others are parallel and you can measure the resistance/check continuity through each pole.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Jaycee068

Post by Jaycee068 »

OK, so no reading across the motor terminals when tested for resistance. Looks like I've got a dead motor.
Jeremy