third party power supply DC 19V 2800 mA

Basic electrical and electronics, such as DC/Analog control.
meehow

third party power supply DC 19V 2800 mA

Post by meehow »

Is it a good idea to use third party power supply?
I found a PC external power brick for these slim PCs.
It supposed to be a smooth current for the purpose of IT.
It has dual out:
DC 12V 7650 mA
DC 19V 2800 mA

These are cheap like chips.
Should be easy to adapt with a barrel connector.
Suzie

Re: third party power supply DC 19V 2800 mA

Post by Suzie »

They are excellent power supplies - much better than anything with a transformer in respect of cost, efficiency, weight, and performance - just don't expect them to last forever.
pete12345

Post by pete12345 »

I've got a power supply salvaged from an old desktop PC. They need a bit of modification to work without a motherboard attached, but then you have 5 and 12 volts available at a good current rating. There's usually -5 and -12 outputs too if they're of any use.
Flashbang

Post by Flashbang »

Hi all

A word of caution - Sorry! Ex PC power supplies or those that can provide excessive current that exceeds around 2 Amps at 12 volts need extra special wiring and some form of circuit distribution with individual down stream circuit protection - Fuses or self resetting Circuit Breakers.
I would recommend splitting the output of any PSU capable of providing over 2 Amp into sub outputs. Each protected by a 1.0A or 1.5Amp fuses or Self resetting Circuit Breakers.
The supply the OP is quoting is rated at 7.65 Amp at 12 volts. That is way above anything most model railways need, and could under High Resistance conditions cause layout wiring to overheat and even catch fire! - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! So spiting higher current power supplies into sub supplies each individually protected is the only safe way to use these PSUs.
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.
pete12345

Post by pete12345 »

Flashbang wrote:Hi all

A word of caution - Sorry! Ex PC power supplies or those that can provide excessive current that exceeds around 2 Amps at 12 volts need extra special wiring and some form of circuit distribution with individual down stream circuit protection - Fuses or self resetting Circuit Breakers.
I would recommend splitting the output of any PSU capable of providing over 2 Amp into sub outputs. Each protected by a 1.0A or 1.5Amp fuses or Self resetting Circuit Breakers.
The supply the OP is quoting is rated at 7.65 Amp at 12 volts. That is way above anything most model railways need, and could under High Resistance conditions cause layout wiring to overheat and even catch fire! - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! So spiting higher current power supplies into sub supplies each individually protected is the only safe way to use these PSUs.
Good advice as usual. I use mine as a temporary/workbench power supply for testing things. For permanent use I'd rig up something on a DIN rail to split the outputs down to individual low-rated circuits.