Ex-Caledonian Railway 'Taunton Brake'

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
Lysander

Ex-Caledonian Railway 'Taunton Brake'

Post by Lysander »

Having completed a number of Triang Clerestory cut-and-shut conversions recently, I was keen to try something completely different. For some time, I had been wondering if anything could be done with these horrors:

A couple of hours on the internet showed that there was a possibility, and this is the link to the latest build [on the off chance that the odd member might be interested....]: https://srmg.org.uk/an-excaledonian-rai ... ough-coach

For those only interested in the outcome, if the anticipated difficulties that the build may present can be overcome, it will end up as an LMS 12-wheel ex-CR Brake Composite, as close to one of 4 originally reserved for use as through coaches between Glasgow and [incredibly] Taunton as the components allow, hence the name. The livery will be LMS Period Three. Incidentally, these coaches ran until the early mid-50s. Only the sides and the immediate floor area of the original Triang coach will be used and then in a modified form.

Updates will be advised as they occur.

Tony
Last edited by Lysander on Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......
Dad-1

Re: Ex-Caledonian Railway 'Taunton Brake'

Post by Dad-1 »

Hi Lysander,

Imagination first, followed by determination and persistence.
It's only a few bits of plastic and metal I will not let it beat me !!

Oh I so admire your coach conversions !!

Geoff T.
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

And I your prolific wagon builds! But before this turns into a gushing bromance (!), I’m pleased to say that the three anticipated problems with this build have been managed and it is now nicely on line with the sides awaiting lettering and lining.

Tony
Wolseley

Post by Wolseley »

Given that I alternate between running vintage three rail Dublo and modelling the Caledonian and Highland Railways, and have a number of Tri-ang Caledonian coaches stored to be ultimately converted into something more realistic, I found this rather interesting. I have bookmarked that link in your first post. It will be quite some time before I get around to doing anything about it though, as I have numerous unfinished projects on hand.
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

Pleased that it may be of interest. Do remember however that it’s going to be one of those ‘looks fine’ in terms of accuracy from two feet rather than a fine scale model. It will be recognisable though.

Tony
Wolseley

Post by Wolseley »

Lysander wrote:Do remember however that it’s going to be one of those ‘looks fine’ in terms of accuracy from two feet rather than a fine scale model.
That's my style of modelling.......

Jim
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

Lysander

Post by Lysander »

Not updated via the link yet but more-or-less finished bar some very small areas of touching up and the addition of an appropriate tail lamp.

This was an extremely speculative build at the outset. I knew that I could not guarantee a result and expecting an uncompromised product from the mating of the parts of four different coaches and a good deal of scrap was expecting a great deal. The use of the original Triang floor and Dapol/Hornby bogies eventually led to a huge and unwanted compromise: small wheels and a substantial gap. Without further quite drastic surgery, this compromise cannot be improved upon. It looks very pretty certainly, but I'm not sure that it was really worth it. I am categorically not fishing for compliments here, it's just that sometimes things don't quite work out the way you intended. The body I am quite happy with but the running qualities are not quite what I would have wanted and I have decided to box it up for a couple of months to concentrate on other projects before returning once again to the running gear. I can see from the photos that the dynamo drive belt needs adjusting, too.

Anyway, for completeness, here it is. It is, for those who have not followed the link, the original was a genuine coach: it really did run all that way to the West Country.

Starting point.

Finished product

Tony
Last edited by Lysander on Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

First, a brave project, bordering on stupidity !!
Results looks nice. gap from bogies probably not noticed by many.
I'd say a successful result.

Geoff T.
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

Thank you Geoff. It's sitting on my desk in front of me right now and annoying me. I don't think I can wait for a couple of months to rectify the running issues and I also want to re-site the bogies 5mm closer to the coach ends. I'll crack on tomorrow!

Tony
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

For completeness, this build is now finished. The bogies have been moved about 5mm further towards each end and larger wheels have been fitted. The running quality is vastly improved now. Strong sunlight has rather bleached out the colour in the photos, they haven't been repainted!

ImageImage

Tony