Farish 8143 DMU

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
mikeycollins

Farish 8143 DMU

Post by mikeycollins »

Hi, I am new to railway modelling so I am looking for some experienced advice.

I bought the above set from a guy on eBay who is selling his late brothers collection. He believed that it had never been used and judging by the condition I would say that is true. So the problem is that the loco will not run. I can hear the motor is getting power but no movement. I have lubricated the wheel axels and joints but so far no joy. The age of the unit is unknown but post 1984 as the manual states that from 1984 only 5 pole motors are used.

I am using Kato track.

The seller has agreed to refund me if it doesn't work but I would like to give it a shot because it is perfect for my needs

Thanks
Bufferstop

Re: Farish 8143 DMU

Post by Bufferstop »

If you can hear the motor running but the wheels aren't turning it's likely to be a gear out of mesh or a disconnected drive shaft. If it spent a long time unused, the wheels may have been too stiff to turn causing the gears to move out of mesh or a drive shaft to become uncoupled depending on the design. Take it apart and examine it or find someone who can.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

In case it proves necessary, support for Poole Farish can be obtained from:
https://www.lprails.co.uk/
mossdp

Post by mossdp »

Quite a few generally more elderly and some newer Graham Farish models suffered from cracked gears where the plastic gears cracked on their metal axles. Some models were more prone to it than others. This could cause a gear to be spinning on its axle rather than rotating the axle and transmitting power to the next part of the drive.