A DIY Material

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Firefly16

A DIY Material

Post by Firefly16 »

While doing some work on my bathroom today I came across a kind of plastic board I have not seen before. Lightweight, and made on the same principle as foamboard, it differs from that product in that its surfaces are hard and unyielding and so not susceptible to denting. The matrix which forms its core is extremely dense and compacted but easily cut, a combination that makes for firm, precise edges. I would very much like to explore its possibilities as a modelling material but don't know what it's called. Does anyone know, please, if it has a generic or brand name or, more interestingly, if anyone has already discovered it and used it for buildings.
Bufferstop

Re: A DIY Material

Post by Bufferstop »

Hi Firefly16 Sounds interesting, any chance of a photo of an exposed end, might help recognition? It's doesn't happen too often but the person who knows what it is doesn't get your description, or just skims over the post whereas a photo grabs their attention and they say "Oh that's such and such it's made by......"
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Post by 4472 »

Where did you buy it and does it have any packaging info
Great grandson of Peter Benjamin Spicer (LNWR retired deceased)
Nephew of Cecil Roberts Spicer (GWR retired deceasd)
Firefly16

Post by Firefly16 »

Hi Bufferstop and 4472
I didn't buy the board, but hope that the attached pic showing one surface and section will give you an idea of what it is.
WIN_20200705_131001 (4).JPG
WIN_20200705_131001 (4).JPG (20.63 KiB) Viewed 1529 times
roganty

Post by roganty »

The photo's not very clear, but my money's on XPS
Main Layout: Planning | The Build

Erikslund - a small shunting layout
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Is it the stuff they make plastic facia and barge boards from, that seems to be a plastic version of an Aero bar, smooth on the outside full of bubbles in the centre.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Firefly16

Post by Firefly16 »

Thank you for your replies, Gentlemen. I think it may be XPS as roganty suggests. Having just looked it up online on ebay among other sites, I'll see if B & Q have any.
rosenblad

Post by rosenblad »

This sounds like the boards I use for my baseboard! It is an XPS core with a glass fibre/cement surface on both sides. Here in Norway they are called foam core wetroom wall boards. We have two products, one called called Tetti, the other called Litex. Hope this helps!
Carpe Diem!
Firefly16

Post by Firefly16 »

Thank you, rosenblad. The piece in my photo is 8mm thick. What you use for your baseboards must be thicker, I think. There is one sure way of finding out if it's the same product - do your boards cut with very little effort? If so then it probably is the same.
rosenblad

Post by rosenblad »

Yes, mine are 12mm thick and all you need to cut them is a knife. They can be glued with ordinary PVA, giving a very strong bond. They are available in thicknesses ranging from 6mm to 50mm. The price here in Norway is a bit on the steep side, but I would never use anything else again!
Carpe Diem!
Firefly16

Post by Firefly16 »

Thank you again, Gentlemen and particular thanks to you rosenblad. A mystery well solved!