Highland Railway Buildings

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
TomTom

Highland Railway Buildings

Post by TomTom »

An unexpected recent development for the neglected Scottish are modeller has been a range of HR laser cut kits marketed by Pop Up designs in both 2 and 4mm scales. As they come they are fairly basic but they can with a bit of work turn in to very acceptable models. Here is one of the typical Highland goods shed as it is out of the box and after a spell on the bench. To match other buildings on my layout I clad it with Evergreen board and batten sheet and roof paper but I have built others and used the basic kit as a finish. It is an expanding range and also has some GNSR buildings with more to come.
20200327_003925.jpg
20200327_001529.jpg
20200407_171811.jpg
End2end

Re: Highland Railway Buildings

Post by End2end »

Great finished building TomTom. :D
I'm seeing a lot of these laser cut manufacturers pop up recently and, as youv'e done, even just using them as a frame or skeleton of a building they do make sturdy models. Everyone here know's my aversion to card buildings. :? :lol:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
TomTom

Post by TomTom »

Thanks. Here is the work I did on the water tank. Apart from altering the windows and adding some valve work it is the original ply kit.
Pop Up tank.jpg
20200420_131930.jpg
20200420_212325.jpg
flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Post by flying scotsman123 »

That is extremely tasty! Is that stonework effect really all just that painted ply? Very nicely done either way. I do have a hankering to do a layout set up north somewhere where a chunky, dark weathered stone was prevalent, there's something about it that really does it for me.
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.
TomTom

Post by TomTom »

The smooth surface was attacked by a pointed scriber, to deepen the courses and then to roughen the surface. It looked a real mess raw but painted up surprisingly well. I am at the thinking stage of their engine shed just now - I was going to use a Scalescenes stone paper but did some trials with a sharp scalpel to define the courses and then did horizontal incisions to give the impression of sandstone. This seems to be effective, which commits me to a lot of detailing, but I am seeing what different effects make to their kits.
This is another one I did - a GNSR station on the closed Speyside whisky line. Again a before and after.
Longmorn kit.jpg
20200611_175506.jpg
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

Very interesting and commendable stuff.

The platform edging really takes my eye (particularly when magnified) - how did you do that?
TomTom

Post by TomTom »

Thanks - Peco Platform moulding and Wills Coarse Stone sheet finished with acrylics.
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

Thanks TomTom - I'd say that's good advertising for Wills Coarse Stone sheet - must inspect it closer next time I have an exhibition I can make it to.
Peterm

Post by Peterm »

That GNSR station certainly looks the part with the back scene behind it. Do you just push the parts out of the sheets and then clean up the edges?
Pete.
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

Is that Ben Alder in the background :wink:
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
TomTom

Post by TomTom »

luckymucklebackit wrote:Is that Ben Alder in the background :wink:
Yes, the Helmsdale one 8)
TomTom

Post by TomTom »

Peterm wrote:That GNSR station certainly looks the part with the back scene behind it. Do you just push the parts out of the sheets and then clean up the edges?
There was a lot of work done to it. The protruding pieces were ct off and a layer of the 3mm ply was removed from the windows to set them back a bit. Sills and vertical straps give a bit more depth to the model, but there is still a bit of trompe-l'oeil to it all,. Still, a lot better than no GNSR building at all. It was photographed plonked on my layout, invading what is a Highland Railway based station....
Peterm

Post by Peterm »

And a nice job you've od made it. Thanks for the info'.
Pete.
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Lovely looking buildings, TomTom. The Company seem to have a nice selection of kits. They part fill a neglected area of Scotland. I hope they provide more items and are successful.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought