Heljan Beyer Garratt

lmsrail

Heljan Beyer Garratt

Post by lmsrail »

Looking for a Heljan Beyer Garratt to add to the collection if anyone has one they would like to part with.
Regards, Jed
mjb1961

Re: Heljan Beyer Garratt

Post by mjb1961 »

Have you seen the ones on offer at rails of Sheffield @ £200.00
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

A word of warning. Heljan’s original Garrett release was by no means 100% trouble-free. There were a great many reports of motor burn-outs and motion problems.

Mine was fine, once I had repaired the motion, twice.

A lovely model, but flawed as a result of building down to a price. I have since sold mine, but as a result of realising that I would never really use it!

If you can afford the latest release, it would be a better buy.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......
lmsrail

Post by lmsrail »

mjb1961 wrote:Have you seen the ones on offer at rails of Sheffield @ £200.00
Checking it out now thanks!
Lysander wrote:A word of warning. Heljan’s original Garrett release was by no means 100% trouble-free. There were a great many reports of motor burn-outs and motion problems.

Mine was fine, once I had repaired the motion, twice.

A lovely model, but flawed as a result of building down to a price. I have since sold mine, but as a result of realising that I would never really use it!

If you can afford the latest release, it would be a better buy.

Tony
Thanks for this Tony, I had no idea. Do you know if the ones on offer at Rails are the new or old ones? Link here: https://railsofsheffield.com/search?sea ... er+garratt

I'm not fussed on price so would rather get the newer one to avoid problems.
Regards, Jed
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

I think that these may be the later edition, but a phone call would confirm.

For more detail on the problems associated with the earlier batch, RMWeb has a huge discussion, 100 pages+

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index ... r-garratt/

They were not all bad, but many were returned or re-motored by their owners. Apart from a motion issue, I has to repair some cosmetic problems with mine. It was fine in the end though and sale followed because i really didn't need it.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

I would ask are you buying it purely as a display item or part of a collection which isn't expected to run? If so look for the lowest price.

If it is wanted for operation, then buy new from a retailer. The reason for suggesting this is that like the other large Heljan steamers it is 'owner repair or adjustment unfriendly', and has to be handled carefully to get the best from it operationally and prevent detail damage. If you buy one give it an extended running test as soon as possible, to find out any weakness or failure which can then be handled by retailer replacement. A friend has one from the first Hattons releases, and that's how it was treated: and it was good and remains so after years of regular operation.

Sufficient customers had trouble the first time around, that I feel this is the way to do it. The upside with this model and the two 2-8-0s since, is that in addition to impressive appearance of the prototypes, the weight means they pull really well. (Of other steam freight heavies in current RTR OO only the Bachmann 9F is their equal, likewise the old HD ringfield 8F: for the same reason, well weighted.)
lmsrail

Post by lmsrail »

Thanks for the advice both of you :)
Regards, Jed
lenht1951

Post by lenht1951 »

If it is only for display contact Ray Heard, I remember seeing he had a few for sale prior to lockdown. :D