Market Street (formerly CandO)

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
CandO

Market Street (formerly CandO)

Post by CandO »

Hello again folks, I'm back :D

Lifestyle changes and other things meant that CandO railway layout construction ground to a halt for a while so a decision to resume warranted a major change from the collapsible old layout to a dedicated room layout. After much thought I decided the best option was to utilise the unused part of the attic which would involve some major work to be undertaken. I've also chosen a new name for my N gauge layout - Market Street.

The first part though would be the moving of the loft hatch from the bathroom to the stairs landing as when the loft ladders were down they interfered with the closing of the bathroom door and meant the bathroom couldn't be used if I was in the attic. So a suitable site was found for the replacement and this was duly constructed with a cover above as a safety measure...
The New Hatch
The New Hatch
New Hatch and the old
New Hatch and the old
Cover above to prevent accidents
Cover above to prevent accidents
You can just see the old hatch to the right, the ladders now raise up over this. The angled wall at top left is to be removed....

I'll add in this first post that all work was carried out by myself - but only after lots of questions to professionals about the best way to do things and getting it checked by them (It cost me a few pints!!) :D
Last edited by CandO on Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CandO

Re: Market Street (formerly CandO)

Post by CandO »

The new hatch cover within the attic was definitely needed when it came to the demolition bit but the wall came down fairly easy....however taking the bricks out of the attic was a lot harder :lol:
The start...
The start...
Halfway...
Halfway...
All done!
All done!
The wall was non-supporting so all was good..... :D

The next thing was to brighten up the lighting a bit so a strip light was fitted....
A lot brighter!
A lot brighter!
The floor was to be next....
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

You're undertaking a lot of building work before you can start !!
Long term should be O.K, unless you move again. We did settle once
after 5 different houses in 12 years.

Geoff T
CandO

Post by CandO »

Dad-1 wrote:You're undertaking a lot of building work before you can start !!
Long term should be O.K, unless you move again. We did settle once
after 5 different houses in 12 years.

Geoff T
Thanks for the reply Geoff. It was a lot of work and certainly took time with me working full time too, I'm sure it'll be worth it as I'm not planning on moving anywhere soon :D

The floor was pretty straightforward and just needed cross bracing across the existing joists. The boards were easy to lay and even the access trapdoor for the electrics wasn't too much of a problem...
Getting laid....
Getting laid....
Looking back towards the doorway....
Looking back towards the doorway....
The next part was the construction of the doorway and the stud walling along the sides to create a totally seperate room for the trains.....
Doorway
Doorway
Right wall
Right wall
Left wall
Left wall
CandO

Post by CandO »

The final part of the room construction (barring minor bits) was the plasterboarding .....I was that eager to get it done I didn't take any pics during the process but there was some taken when it was completed :D
view into the room
view into the room
view from the door
view from the door
view from back right
view from back right
view from back left
view from back left
The more observant amongst you may well have noticed that there are now two strip lights in place as once boarded there were definite shadows in the corners of the room. You may also notice the cover for the loft hatch in its raised position... :)
CandO

Post by CandO »

Finally for this part another three pics of the finished room.....The approx measurements are 8' wide and 12' down the left hand side and 10' down the right..... plenty of room for N gauge :D
View to right side
View to right side
View to left side
View to left side
View to back right
View to back right
Well I hope you all enjoyed my story of the room construction, my amateur woodworking skills were put to the test for sure! I'll start a new thread in Baseboard construction for the baseboards...
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

Wow! - great space!

JIm
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
mjb1961

Post by mjb1961 »

I wouldn't say amateur,you've done a great job . :D :D