MIDVILLE JUNCTION Modern 00

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
dan8400

Re: MIDVILLE JUNCTION Modern 00

Postby dan8400 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:17 pm

Ok. I’ll have a look either tonight or tomorrow

Thanks
Dan
My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30117

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:21 pm

Well, I’m very sorry to report that I couldn’t get any good pictures. Since I fitted the curved ply facia I cannot get a good angle to take a photo.

I have included a link to a Flickr folder with the pictures I did take. If there is anything I can explain further please ask. I’m sorry I couldn’t provide better pictures.

https://flickr.com/photos/152677313@N05 ... 4693836707

Thanks
Dan

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:13 am

Interesting photos Dan - as has already been said, it's nice to see a home-made helix 8).
BTW what is the radius of the inner track, and do you know how steep is the slope please?

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:38 am

Hi PNP

Not sure how to work out the percentages etc but the basic idea is this:

There is a central leg and the ‘spokes’ are 13mm thick. So the helix rises 102mm per rotation. There are two rotations from the fiddle yard to the top mainline section. The branch line starts on the top section and rotates once upwards and over itself. It then follows a gentle slope along the wall of the shed back down to the top level and into the station.

It’s not as complicated as it sounds.

Thanks
Dan

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:07 am

The curves are 3rd and 4th radius.

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:18 am

Impressive helix, Dan. I bet that took longer than a weekend to do. :lol:

Well done.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:44 am

Hi Glencairn,

Believe it or not, it only took about 3 hours of carpentry. I then Had to lay the track and wire it. Maybe two evenings, tops.

I have all the equipment I could need and all the timber on hand.

The idea with stacking the spokes up worked well. It saved time, I cut them all up before hand and it made all of the spacings the same so aided in smooth gradients

Thanks
Dan

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:29 pm

Hi everyone

Another small update, it helps the layout along though.

I have extended the retaining wall from behind the rearmost platform out towards the countryside scene. The box I have created under this is where the hidden return lines are for the Branchline. I have left most of the surface removable for access. The top surface will also be home to a row of low relief houses. The bus will also drive along here to collect passengers from a very small village up by the farm on the countryside scene.

So tonight I’ve had punctured fingers (chicken wire) and sloppy messy plaster everywhere (modroc). It’s all good fun though...

I have included a short test video of the bus running. It starts in part of the town scene, goes round a roundabout, through the station forecourt and heads out of town towards the retail park.

The retail park buildings are a kit from eBay. Inexpensive, but effective.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/113220990535

On to the pictures / video:

https://flic.kr/p/2jcy8FE

[url=tools.sportscard.trade]Generated from my Apple iPhone using tools.sportscard.trade[/url]

[url=tools.sportscard.trade]Generated from my Apple iPhone using tools.sportscard.trade[/url]

That’s all for now

Thanks
Dan

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:17 am

Hi everyone,

Not much of an update as I have been mostly wiring and rewiring some sections for block control. I also have some more point motors to fit to complete the yard.

One project I have started is a little bit of scenery. We have a couple of old dead trees that have fallen. So I took some of the bark off. I saw this trick years ago and always wanted to try is. So I have used the bark to make a rock wall. I used filler to stick the bark to the layout. When that dried I sprayed it with grey primer. Then I mixed a wash of India ink and IPA. This picks out the depth of the cracks. I then dry brushed the high spots with some white acrylic paint. I have added some greenery too.

More to come, but I’m quite pleased for a first attempt.

I’ve also painted some of the white plaster cloth as I’m fed up with the ‘snow’ look.

Thanks
Dan

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:35 pm

Hi everyone

So after having not been in the shed for a few weeks, I decided to play trains the last two nights. I’ve been track cleaning and trying to find out where I was up to. I now have a list of things to do next:

Small amount of wiring
About 7 or 8 point motors to complete the yard
Control panels to finish, mount and illuminate
Town scene buildings
Village to complete
Farm scene to build
General scenery
Ballasting

If I ever get to the bottom of this list(!) I can then start on the finer details and weathering stock.

I have whipped round with the camera to give you a quick catch up on how things stand at the moment.

url=https://flic.kr/p/2jMfrCt]Image[/url]

That’s all for now.

Questions, comments and constructive criticism welcome

Thanks
Dan

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:47 pm

Your progress looks excellent :)

Alex

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:00 pm

Thanks Alex

BrightonMan

Postby BrightonMan » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:40 am

Looks great. That's some impressive pointwork on the station approach, very nice.

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:43 am

Thank you Brighton Man

NedFlanders

Postby NedFlanders » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:49 pm

That's all rather impressive - I particularly like the Shades of green in the grass, when/if I get to put down some of my own I hope it looks as good as yours :idea: .

Ned.

p.s. Great - I found another thread to catch up on with some tea and HobNobs! :D
Getting back into railways, one step at a time.
Ned's Workbench - https://tinyurl.com/y4jby73c
The UppydownyRoundyRoundyRailway - https://tinyurl.com/y6stelsr

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”