Something On Rails Made From Lollypop Sticks And Tea Stirers Challenge Thread.

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
Mountain

Re: Something On Rails Made From Lollypop Sticks And Tea Stirers Challenge Thread.

Post by Mountain »

It is getting even cooler!
Attachments
20200505_204544-1.jpg
20200505_204405-1.jpg
Jules

Re: Something On Rails Made From Lollypop Sticks And Tea Stirers Challenge Thread.

Post by Jules »

:lol: If this were any cooler, it would be frozen!

Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Just to update the build progress. I know it is repeated on the other thread. Here is the waggon in its painted form. More details on the other thread.
Attachments
20200506_231949-1.jpg
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

That looks like the thing that with some friends I pushed up the track from what is now Campbell's Platform to the head of line when they were building the Ffestiniog Deviation. In the end it was a pointless exercise as the foot and mouth shutdown meant we had to cancel our visit, the ride back down to Tan-y-Bwlch was compensation. So we never got to be Deviationists, or as the Gaffer insisted deviants. Good job the bearings were non existent, just like the brakes, we might have overshot.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

There's a prototype for everything! Haha.
Michaelaface

Post by Michaelaface »

wish I'd seen this thread sooner, is it still possible to join in? I recently spotted a large, unopened bag of tea stirrers in work and naturally my brain instantly started trying to work out how I could use them for model railway purposes...
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

As I said earlier, it does have a delightful Welsh slate look to it. I’m surprised by how well it came out.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Go for it Michaelaface! There is no start and finish to this thread. Is just a fun challenge to see what you can build. Enjoy!
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Lysander wrote:As I said earlier, it does have a delightful Welsh slate look to it. I’m surprised by how well it came out.

Tony
It does look ok. I should have made the axlebox assemblies a little more triangular, but I did not know how strong they would turn out to be. They are strong enough from the feel of it, but at the time, I was not too sure as it was new ground for me to use this material for the axleboxes.
The wagon does need a small amount of weight to be added to the underside of it, and I need to finish the couplings and give it a number.
So far this is a "One off" but I could easily build more if I need to. I was surprized how strong the ends turned out as I expected them to be the weak area of the build.