Guidance for first loco kit

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
pete12345

Guidance for first loco kit

Post by pete12345 »

I was sorting my magazines and saw an article for a LNER 0-6-2 locomotive built from a resin kit, and thought it was something I'd like to have a go at. What did it was the mention of using a Hornby chassis from their old inaccurate class 08, which is something I have lying around.

So, any straightforward loco kits about using this chassis? My layout is an ex-GWR line with LNER connection, circa 1950-something so quite a few options available! Really looking for a suitable prototype as well as general guidance regarding kit builds as I've zero experience except for a couple of wagons and several airfix kits a long time ago!
Ex-Pat

Re: Guidance for first loco kit

Post by Ex-Pat »

As far as general guidance goes I would advise resisting the temptation to rush in.

Make sure all the pieces are there, that you read and understand the instructions and ensure you have "dry runs". (Instructions are normally written by people who know what should be done, and I find they tend to assume the kit builder will know exactly what they mean - sadly this is not always so in my experience.)

Depending on the accuracy you desire I would always have photographs of the chosen loco and preferably a drawing as well.

The now defunct Activity Media Right Track series produced various model railway DVD's and these included 2 volumes of kit building by Tony Wright - well worth a look if you can get hold of them.

Best of luck!
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

I will say that I have found resin to be a forgiving material to work with due to the ease in which one can correct little mistakes, and it is easy to file parts to shape if they don't fit properly. It is normal to need tofile parts to fit as resin parts are castings.
I would say that resin is ideal for beginners.
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

If you are asking what ‘modern’ (ie. current) kits might fit the Hornby 0-6-0 chassis, then probably only resin ones would be available. Newer brass kits tend to require brass chassis.

However, old K’s or Wills Finecast white metal kits (for eg., there are others) were designed to use either their own chassis blocks or Triang / Hornby r-t-r chassis.

These old kits are not intrinsically difficult to construct but can be quite trying because the castings do not always fit perfectly: remedying that is part of the fun however.

If you are a patient modeller, and have a good modelling toolkit (essential but not expensive), you can achieve good results. Just don’t rush your build and walk away for a break if it looks like it’s beating you!

I have posted photos of my Talgarth Hall build on this forum. It is an old Wills kit designed to run on a Triang B12 chassis. I didn’t use one and mounted it on an adapted Wills chassis, but if I had, it would have run well enough.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

pete12345 wrote:I was sorting my magazines and saw an article for a LNER 0-6-2 locomotive built from a resin kit...
The good news in your post is that you mention the kind of 'ideal starter' on which to first have a go. A six coupled tank engine with inside cylinders (which was typical for UK 0-6-2T) designed to go on an easily obtained RTR chassis leaves you free to concentrate on getting it constructed, rather than solving problems.

I think it was CJ Freezer who wrote a piece about the sinking feeling he had when a letter arrived with 'I am new to railway modelling and have seen a picture of the Midland Spinner / Ivatt Atlantic / LBSCR Gladstone and would like your advice on what is available to construct one from a kit'. Now, there are folk out there so preternaturally gifted that they can almost inevitably master any task they set themsleves. But it is not so for most of us. And his task was to gently rein in ambition and suggest a simpler subject as an entry point, which would develop skills rather than cause disappointment.