On the Border Counties Railway

Post anything here that is related to taking Railway Photographs!

Moderator: saslord

glencairn

On the Border Counties Railway

Post by glencairn »

Just a 'snippet' or two in the occasional ramblings of an old railway line that is close to my heart. I used to live near the line and twice nearly bought a station on the line that was for sale. They were Wall Station and Chollerford Station.

Glencairn
Last edited by glencairn on Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought
glencairn

Re: On the Border Counties Railway

Post by glencairn »

The bridge over the River Tyne looking north from Border Counties Junction just west of Hexham. T

Glencairn
Last edited by glencairn on Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

glencairn wrote:Just a 'snippet' or two in the occasional ramblings of an old railway line that is close to my heart. I used to live near the line and twice nearly bought a station on the line that was for sale. They were Wall Station and Chollerford Station.

'Pottering about' as one does, I came across this old photograph. The date is 'in the 1930s'. I think it is North British Railway locomotive 'Ellangowan' number 9416 in LNER livery.
I do know it is heading north from Hexham on the old Border Counties Railway; next station will be Wark.

NBR D30.JPG

Glencairn
Is it heading for Hawick I wonder?
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Ex-Pat wrote: Is it heading for Hawick I wonder?
Most definitely, Ex-Pat. It was on a Newcastle to Hawick (or Edinburgh) run. Ellangowan was a regular to the Border Counties Railway.
Another regular D30/2 to the BCR was Number 499/9499/2440/62440 'Wandering Willie'.

Glencairn
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Map of the Border Counties Railway.

Commenced 11 December 1855
Opened 2 April 1858
Completed 24 June 1862
Closed
1 September 1958
(except Reedsmouth–Bellingham, closed 11 November 1963)
Events
Merged into North British Railway - 1860
Merged into London North Eastern Railway - 1923
Merged into British Railways - 1948

Border_Counties_Rly.png
Glencairn
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

glencairn wrote:Just a 'snippet' or two in the occasional ramblings of an old railway line that is close to my heart. I used to live near the line and twice nearly bought a station on the line that was for sale. They were Wall Station and Chollerford Station.

'Pottering about' as one does, I came across this old photograph. The date is 'in the 1930s'. I think it is North British Railway locomotive 'Ellangowan' number 9416 in LNER livery.
I do know it is heading north from Hexham on the old Border Counties Railway; next station will be Wark.

NBR D30.JPG
Well 'Glencairn'.
Over half a lifetime past, when I was young and fit, with a couple of mates we spent 12 days on the little stroll from Edale to Kirk Yetholm. Mostly stopping in Youth Hostels, self catering. So when we reached Byrness we looked for what could be bought for our supper, and the grocery store happened to be selling railway prints. Now I was outright skint by this stage, (only 17 and funding the trip from 'Saturday job' earnings as I (and t'other two!) were still at school) and needed the fares to get home from Kirk Yetholm to near London.

So I could only afford 4 prints. One of them is the very one you have, unless I am very mistaken. It has the same out of focus dust speck top right, and is identical in every detail, including the fine detail of the exhaust which isn't going to be replicated if two trains with the same loco class up front were photographed at the exact same location. On the back, handwritten is 'Chipchase' (don't know this location, not a station on the line according to the RCH map), and stamped on :
COPYRIGHT
E.E.SMITH

The loco is D30/2 Scott class 2440 Wandering Willie with LNER on the tender. (Could be as late as the early BR period as the number only changed to 62440 in mid 1949, all the other 3 prints by the same photographer are early BR.) Lovely picture, instantly attractive, looks like the railway runs through parkland. On a side note, Hornby wouldn't go far wrong producing a D30 Scott or D34 Glen to accompany their NBR J36. Such handsome locomotives, and lots of great names.
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

Bigmet wrote: On a side note, Hornby wouldn't go far wrong producing a D30 Scott or D34 Glen to accompany their NBR J36. Such handsome locomotives, and lots of great names.
I've said this (well the D30 - I'm not that fussed about the D34) to Simon Kohler at Warley and Glasgow, and always fill in the Hornby Wish List sheet to the effect that the name "Wandering Willie" is so evocative (maybe even suggestive?!) that it couldn't fail to attract custom and be a best seller.
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

[quote="Bigmet"]
So I could only afford 4 prints. One of them is the very one you have, unless I am very mistaken. It has the same out of focus dust speck top right, and is identical in every detail, including the fine detail of the exhaust which isn't going to be replicated if two trains with the same loco class up front were photographed at the exact same location. On the back, handwritten is 'Chipchase' quote.

Hi Bigmet. The photograph is taken east of Chipchase Castle which is about half a mile away, (a mile and half south of Wark Station). The railway at the point the photo is taken runs next to the road. The fence separates road and rail. The area was a very popular spot to take pictures (naturally).
The photographs I have were in a box (in the loft) of our home we inherited.

The route of the line near Chipchase is still plain to see, albeit overgrown with trees and bushes.

Glencairn
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

We were supposed to visit Northumberland this year, especially for my wife to go to the Vindolanda dig and see the latest artefacts. I'll go looking for some of the Border Counties route when we can make the trip. Such a very lovely part of the UK altogether. I want to see all of the replica steam locos at Beamish work too, only seen Locomotion no 1 going...
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Bigmet wrote:We were supposed to visit Northumberland this year, especially for my wife to go to the Vindolanda dig and see the latest artefacts. I'll go looking for some of the Border Counties route when we can make the trip. Such a very lovely part of the UK altogether. I want to see all of the replica steam locos at Beamish work too, only seen Locomotion no 1 going...
My thread on Beamish Museum is about half way down the page of 'Railway Photographs.

Glencairn
RailwayRobbo

Post by RailwayRobbo »

We stayed in the Ticket Office of Falstone Station a couple of years ago. You could just see part of the Kielder Dam. The station is more or less complete along with the signal box. Unfortunately they've built 2 semi detached bungalows in a gap on the platform.
There's a Facebook group for the Border Counties Railway.
There's also B&B accomodation at Saughtree Station as well.

Pete (RailwayRobbo)
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

I was reading an interesting article on the BBC website last week about this area http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/2020050 ... d-scotland about "the Debatable Lands" and the infamous "Border Reivers". The area has a very interesting (and very violent) history.

+1 for a D49 or D30 (after a J37 of course) :D

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

RailwayRobbo wrote: There's also B&B accomodation at Saughtree Station as well.

Pete (RailwayRobbo)
With a small private railway.
luckymucklebackit wrote:I was reading an interesting article on the BBC website last week about this area http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/2020050 ... d-scotland about "the Debatable Lands" and the infamous "Border Reivers". The area has a very interesting (and very violent) history.

Jim
Nothing debatable now, Jim. The Charltons', Grahams' and Douglas' have settled their differences (sort of :) ). Many a person living in the North Tyne Valley want the area returned to Scotland. :lol:

Glencairn