Back to 4mm, new layout plan.

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
Ironduke

Re: Back to 4mm, new layout plan.

Post by Ironduke »

Well anyway I got the pieces to connect eventually, so here is a sort of C-track geometry demo.
The inner radius curves are spaced at 77.5mm centres while the outer curves are spaced at 66.3mm. I suppose it make sense that larger radius curves require less clearance but it doesn't make it easy to use. Curved points always complicate things :roll:
I zipped the .any file to attach it.
Attachments
c-track jpeg
c-track jpeg
c-track.zip
Anyrail file
(13.51 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
Regards
Rob
boxbrownie

Post by boxbrownie »

Getting there, but you have missed the fact that the long radius points (both curved and straight) require the use of special short straights/curves at the toe end which have detachable roadbed/ballast edges so the track fits perfectly together without needing the cut the ballast base.

Took me a full week and a lot of digging to realise that, not clear on the Märklin/Trix site........clever system but needs care when planning.
Best regards David

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you......I may wish to offend again.
Montfort

Post by Montfort »

That's what I call a BIG layout. It requires a lot of money. The Trix C-track is very expensive as far as I can remember. But it's your layout. So go for it !
Back on the track !
Chris
boxbrownie

Post by boxbrownie »

Haha.....no, that’s not mine, my layout is further up the thread, I think this multi track version was just drawn to show the geometry available from TRIX
Best regards David

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you......I may wish to offend again.
Montfort

Post by Montfort »

Sorry. My mistake. :oops: Anyway you gave me an idea. I put all my Trix C-track stuff out of the box for a new project.
Back on the track !
Chris
boxbrownie

Post by boxbrownie »

Montfort wrote:Sorry. My mistake. :oops: Anyway you gave me an idea. I put all my Trix C-track stuff out of the box for a new project.
There you go...........not one single post can be said to be wasted :D
Best regards David

Ironduke

Post by Ironduke »

boxbrownie wrote:but you have missed the fact that the long radius points (both curved and straight) require the use of special short straights/curves at the toe end which have detachable roadbed/ballast edges so the track fits perfectly together without needing the cut the ballast base.
Oh buggah! What are the part numbers?
Regards
Rob
boxbrownie

Post by boxbrownie »

For the straight long points you need one at each toe fork #62071

For the long curved points you need #62315 depending upon configuration
Best regards David

boxbrownie

Post by boxbrownie »

Well the present “situation” has prompted me into action, if I am going to be stuck at home for a few months it gives me more of an excuse to get the layout going, collected all the track I need, Viessmann point motors, odd and ends, bits and pieces and some more.
Track layed to test the theoretical plan, needed a bit of “massaging” and added a couple of sidings at the back for storage, it all works great, even using presently just one connection to the entire circuit from the Ecos controller.....who said DCC was just as difficult as DC to wire? This Trix track really does make the electrics a doddle.
I have a picture but will have to reduce the size to get it accepted on here.
IMG_0477.jpg
The picture is taken with the back of the layout closet to the camera, to avoid any confusion.
Best regards David

boxbrownie

Post by boxbrownie »

And yes that is Thomas........I added sound and music to him and my Grandchildren love it :D
Best regards David

Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Can you power it from the exercise bike? :wink:
boxbrownie

Post by boxbrownie »

Bigmet wrote:Can you power it from the exercise bike? :wink:
Yes, when the kids want it running they had better peddle bloody hard :D
Best regards David