General Qs

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Oggy12

General Qs

Post by Oggy12 »

Chaps

Rebuilding my Scottish layout and a few generic Qs if I may

Ballast laying tool/box thingy - worth purchasing? I have alot of track! Any tips on use?

Recommended wire gauge for droppers to the DCC bus? Estimate a maximum of 5 locos running at any one time.

Thinking about introdcuing some particularly Scottish locos to the layoout - ie K4s, Glens etc. I've seen kits, but don't want that route at present. Any method of converting standard RTR using (say) a Bachmann K3 chassis for the K4? and some other 4-4-0 for the Glen. Don't want too much of a chore in so doing....

Many thanks
Bigmet

Re: General Qs

Post by Bigmet »

Oggy12 wrote: Ballast laying tool/box thingy - worth purchasing? I have a lot of track! Any tips on use?...
It takes just as long however you do it, and the slow bit isn't the dispensing which you will soon get into practice with, but the arranging 'just so' for pleasing appearance before spraying on the adhesive.
Oggy12 wrote: ...Recommended wire gauge for droppers to the DCC bus? Estimate a maximum of 5 locos running at any one time...
Look at how thin the wire is on motor armatures. That's 'thick enough' as it is only supplying one loco at a time, unless you are running 5 loco lash ups. Plenty of them is the secret, every length of flexitrack, no reliance on the rail joiners.
Oggy12 wrote: ...Scottish locos - ie K4s, Glens etc. I've seen kits, but don't want that route at present. Any method of converting standard RTR using (say) a Bachmann K3 chassis for the K4? and some other 4-4-0 for the Glen...
Your choice loco for the K4 is really Hornby's K1, as this was a two cylinder conversion of the K4. The K1 has a really sweet running mechanism too.

There isn't a 6' wheel RTR 4-4-0 available to make into a good Glen. Now, I reckon the Glen is in with as good a chance of any smaller main line type of getting a RTR model, as it is a very attractive machine. Can you content yourself with Hornby's J36 instead for now, and wait in hope for the 4-4-0?
End2end

Post by End2end »

Oggy12 wrote:Thinking about introdcuing some particularly Scottish locos to the layoout - ie K4s, Glens etc. I've seen kits, but don't want that route at present. Any method of converting standard RTR using (say) a Bachmann K3 chassis for the K4? and some other 4-4-0 for the Glen. Don't want too much of a chore in so doing....

Many thanks
Have you looked into 3d printed bodies? Many people are now producing loco bodies to fit standard chassis's.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Morayshire

Post by Morayshire »

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=54708

Possible source for the Glen?
muggins

Post by muggins »

I used to hate ballasting wiyth a vengeance. Took me forever to get a result I was happy with. Now I use one of those box speader thingies to spread it, the vacuum cleaner via hose and long thin nozzle laid along the track top to get rid of that which is left on top of the sleepers, and Ballast Bond to glue it after picking off the odd errant bit that's left after the Hoovering with a damp artist's paintbrush.

Don't mind doing it at all now, and it takes a fraction of the time (and patience) that it used to. Better result too! :)
Oggy12

Post by Oggy12 »

Chaps

Thanks for the replies - much appreciated.

I know about the K1 and it does look rather fine, but later than a K4 and only in BR black. I would prefer an LNER apple green loco with a nice rake of teak coaches! I guess I could repaint a K1 and modify slightly?

J36 also looks good - but again black - which I suppose it was. Quite like the Maude version....

3D printer stuff is available, but looks a little rough. Also no real indications from suppliers of what RTR chassis to use with them from the ones I have viewed.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Oggy12 wrote: ...I know about the K1 and it does look rather fine, but later than a K4 and only in BR black. I would prefer an LNER apple green loco with a nice rake of teak coaches! I guess I could repaint a K1 and modify slightly?...
The suggestion was for the K1 as a better starting point for a conversion than the K3, as it has the right diameter boiler and wheels. Still a lot of work involved. K3s in LNER green were 'all over' much of the ex-NBR system, but were too heavy for the West Highland, the K4 specifically a 'cut down K3' for that work.

The ex-GNR K2 is not available in RTR, but I believe there has been a resin body kit to fit on the K3 mechanism.
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

As far as tracklaying/ballasting is concerned, if you are going to lift all of your existing track then the method I use may appeal to you.

It is covered at:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=50019#p613910

and at:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=50019&start=15#p614077
Ewood

Post by Ewood »

I ballasted with n gauge ballast for 00 gauge track, finer, easier to spread and looks better. I spreaded with a small brush then 50/50 pva to water plus a squirt of washing up liquid. Applied it in a syringe, left to dry 48 hours. Wouldn't do it any other way