Alex3410 - My Railway

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
alex3410

Re: Alex3410 - My Railway

Postby alex3410 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:13 am

I am making slow progress with the fiddle yard, life just gets in the way :lol:

I have had to rework some of the layout to get it into the space so watch this space to see what i end up with!

in the meantime i have treated myself to this:

Its a little bit bent & battered but its the first one i have spotted on eBay with the full width and a reasonable price, currently off with dad to be sorted out but looking forward to putting it up on the layout.

I wanted a SECR lamp that went up a few weeks ago but anything SECR related seems to go for silly money at the moment :roll:

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:34 pm

Isn't it the wrong scale for your layout? :lol:
It will look really nice. :)
I like the Lima coaches. Lima coaches always did run well.

Montfort

Postby Montfort » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:24 pm

Are you going to build a 1:1 scale layout? :lol:
Back on the track !
Chris

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:25 pm

When you are fitting fishplates do you file a lead on the edges of the rail foot, and test each one on a spare bit of rail before using them. There's nothing raises the curse level more than trying to push on a fishplate at arm's length, where you can't see it properly, than one that is so tight it's never going to go on the rail in a month of pushing.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:57 pm

I have taken to using a file to make sure all of the edges are clean, I am using rail cutters but noticed the cut is not always 100% and it was leaving extra metal under it which was causing the issues

Not a long job but adds extra step, have not had any issues since doing it however so onto a winner

Well if the lottery goes my way tonight I might just start 1:1 :lol:

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:09 pm

Some progress over the weekend, i have the fiddle yard track down for now - i think there is some room for improvmeent in the future but for now its OK. I have it all laid and the feeder wires soldered on, i just need to connect them up to the bus wire.

I also have the rolling road and programming track in place, its nice to have set aside space for these:
What i do need to do (apart from connect up the rolling road) is look into having a switch for the rolling road so i can connect DC power as well for testing new locos.

Next on the list is to connect it all up to the bus, i will be honest i took one look under the baseboard - and this is only 1/2 of it
and thought i would leave it for another day :lol: :

Chops

Postby Chops » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:34 am

Magnificent photo essay of the evolution of a remarkable layout. My favorite pieces are the diesel shunter with the jack shafts and the coal rake. May I ask exactly what shade of green paint did you use? It looks like a Forest Green, but not as dark. I am looking to find the right color to paint up a Silver Fox Deltic shell.
I don't care what they say. I believe in Nessie.

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:57 am

Thank you, i am glad you have enjoyed reading through the thread.

I honestly cant remember which paint i used in the end, it was one of my first projects after getting into the hobby - something i keep meaning to revisit as well.

If you post the question on the forum i am sure someone will have the answer your looking for.

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:32 am

No to much progress of late, i have been distracted by other bits and bobs :roll:

Also avoiding connecting up all the dropper wires as its not going to be a fun job :lol: in the meantime i have tried my hand at scratch building again, this will be the first project that has got this far so a fair bit wrong with it but overall i am pleased with it so far:

The windows don't look as wonky in real life! The inspiration for this was Bachmann Branchline 44-0086 Industrial Gate House so i build mine based off of this, downstairs away from the railway. Turns out i would have been better building it the other way around as it would have lined up with the track much better!

So the next job was to rearrange my plans for the area, lesson learnt and next time i will make sure it fits within my track plans before starting :lol:

This is what i have so far, i have ordered another 3 sets of points which i need to finish the track laying so hopefully will make some more progress with that soon.

It will mean more dropper wires to connect up to the bus, making that job even less appealing!

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:35 am

Looks good Alex - I see you managed to master the interface between the two roof sections nicely!

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:14 am

i will be honest i restored to trial and error using the tip about making templates from paper first :lol:

The other side is not as smoothly done :oops:

Next up is painting it and getting the track down, i am really looking forward to starting some scenic sections of the layout but want to get track etc perfect first

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:51 pm

Man, you gotta be happy with that for scratch building... it looks fantastic! Im never happy with anything I do haha... but you learn where to better yourself for next time!

Montfort2

Postby Montfort2 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:40 pm

Well done. What's next ? Maybe it's too cold in your loft... :D

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:50 am

it is very cold :lol:

Progress has been well and truly scuppered by the birth of our daughter not long after my last update :!: shes just over one now but just as hectic as ever.

It means i have not found the time over the last year to do much of anything, I think I have had about half an hour in the last year in the loft and most of that was spent clearing away boxes and bits we had just shoved up there.

I am hopeful I can make some more progress soon, I would like to at least get it to the stage where everything can run so I can at least show it off to the little one :lol: but won't be holding my breath

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:46 pm

Alex, Enjoy your time with the little one, it passes by SO fast
and building a railway is never meant to be a race.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”