Cobalt Point Motors

Post all your model railway electronic problems, solutions and discoverys here.
Southern Region

Cobalt Point Motors

Postby Southern Region » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:24 pm

Needing some advice before I commit to buy regarding Cobalt Motors. Just had a look a the new stock,DCP-CB12DIP motor, says it's a digital model as compared to previous ones which are stated as being analog. Obviously there must be a difference as the new types are far more expensive, so could anyone please explain to me as to what they are. I am running on DCC if that makes any difference. Alan.

Roger (RJ)

Re: Cobalt Point Motors

Postby Roger (RJ) » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:39 pm

The digital versions have a built in DCC decoder, so you don't need an additional point decoder to operate them on DCC layouts.

The analogue versions would need a separate DCC accessory decoder to operate them digitally.

Southern Region

Postby Southern Region » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:47 pm

Many thanks Rog, if the answer is as simple as that, then I might as well pay the extra pennies and go for the newer version.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:40 pm

Many DCC users still use switches and wiring to control points and signals, as they prefer to separate the activities of signaler and driver, and switches seem a more natural way to do the signalling. It's really a matter of preference.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Southern Region

Postby Southern Region » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:27 pm

Well it seems that there are no new versions to be had in the country, everyone is out of stock. Plan B is to pursue the previous versions in the analogue range but there seems to be some variations to which I am unsure of. Ideally I wish to have a live frog polarity switch built in and an output to operate leds as is with the new one. Do the older versions have this available and if so, which ones.

Ironduke

Postby Ironduke » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:28 pm

I see DCC concepts are selling an Omega classic+decoder bundle for the same price as the Cobalt IP Digital.
https://www.dccconcepts.com/product-cat ... p-digital/
Regards
Rob

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:40 pm

There are basically three types on Cobalt motors currently produce (some may not be in stock at the time of writing this?).
Analogue users are offered the choice of Cobalt Classic Omega or the Cobalt ip Analogue. The main difference is their operating DC voltages. Both have two sets of electrically separate change-over contacts. Plus an optional diode fed output for LED panel indications or feed back.
The Digital ip has a built in DCC decoder and works from either the DCC system or via separate push buttons or a non locking sprung to centre off toggle switch. It can be feed from the DCC system or use a totally separate DC or AC power source to drive its motor over and back.
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

Southern Region

Postby Southern Region » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:55 pm

since there is a non supply of the dcc model, I am now leaning towards the analog type. I think I understand that the IP version is an improvement on the |Omega, has anyone any views on this subject.

Ironduke

Postby Ironduke » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:09 pm

I think adding a decoder to either of the analog versions would make it equivalent to a Cobalt IP digital. You could maybe save a little money by controlling two analog motors with one decoder at crossovers. Both analog types use polarity reversal to switch, so you'd need a DPDT switch to control one (or two) without a decoder.
Regards
Rob

Mike Parkes

Postby Mike Parkes » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:39 pm

The Model Centre has a 12 pack Cobalt IPs on ebay equivalent to around £21 each
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DCP-CB12DIP- ... Swq~tZUPZ8
but on their own web site its £18.21 cheaper and pre-order only

Return to “Electronics”