Hornby J36 Class R 3622 fitting TTS decoder

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren and Oxford Rail).
bob hughes60

Hornby J36 Class R 3622 fitting TTS decoder

Post by bob hughes60 »

May be early yet but has anybody fitted one of these in the tender ?
If so I would be glad of any help.
AFAIK no service sheet is available yet on the Hornby site and no fitting instructions are provided with the decoder.
Besides the chip and circuit board there is a speaker, a plastic securing ring ? and two screws.
Getting into the tender and removing the weight and blanking plate socket is not difficult.
However when you remove the tender weight there are NO pre-drilled screw holes to secure the speaker or clip??
Grateful for any enlightenment from fellow enthusiasts
TIA
Bob Hughes
Mike Parkes

Re: Hornby J36 Class R 3622 fitting TTS decoder

Post by Mike Parkes »

Bob

There is a posting on rmweb showing how to remove the decoder from Maude which I followed as I have no other sound locos and the TTS decoder did not give the fine control I prefer. Following it in reverse should do the trick
https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index ... nt-3510784
bob hughes60

Post by bob hughes60 »

Thanks for pointing this out useful and the tender comes apart easily.
However I am mystified by the orientation of the speaker under the tender weight and also there is an additional thin round clip which fits the speaker.
2 screws are provided but there are no locating holes in the tender chassis. It is a tight fit anyway so a bit problematic to get it right.
The tender pick-ups are soldered to the chip socket and there is very little play in the wires to sit a speaker on top.
I have asked Hornby so I'll post if they offer any help. Hopefully some other passing source of wisdom can help?
Bob hughes
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

The speaker in Maude was simply held in place by the plastic moulding - I would suspect the clip and screws is something that gets included if used on a different model. The photo in the rmweb posting of the speaker revealed I would take shows the correct orientation of it.
bob hughes60

Post by bob hughes60 »

I got Kevin Dickerson at Coastal DCC to fit it. AFAIK he lengthened some leads to the tender pickup PCB which were very short.
The speaker just fits by itself without either of the plastic surrounds or the 2 screws.
Had no reply from Hornby (2 weeks ago) to an email asking for further guidance on fitting.