'60009' Trundling to M.N.R, Norfolk - Some Advice Needed

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
Hornchurch

'60009' Trundling to M.N.R, Norfolk - Some Advice Needed

Post by Hornchurch »

'

I only got back into railways & engines & such as recently as summer 2016, so please bear with me, explaining this.

(my railway knowledge is still scant)

The A.4 "Mallard" type engine, number '60009', "Union of South Africa" is due to appear next weekend, near me.

I've only EVER seen the "Mallard" twice - once, at Clapham, as a toddler & only once more, in Sept' 1987 at York.

So to me, seeing these beautiful streamlined engines is an extreme rarity - (I've NOT seen the other five)

Begs the question, where will this engine be staging thru, before entering the M.N.R ?

Also, can anyone suggest the time it'll be "on the M.N.R line", or at which station it'll remain the longest ?

(basically, ANY chance that I can get, to photograph it for myself, pref' sans crowds, or, along the M.N.R)

I've only ever been along that line (adjacent, by car), circa 2016, prior to me having a nasty traffic-accident, in 2017.

Recovery from the latter means my latterday movement is now restricted (disability), so any advice is welcomed.

During my 2016 visit, it was deserted, as there was/were NO special events going on - So photography was good.

I fear this time around WILL be somewhat more crowded & vantage points few.

My plan is to go down there on either SATURDAY (next, far more likely), or failing that, SUNDAY, but Sat' is preferable.

Any advice on where to go, where to BE, plus ANY advice on '60009's movements & best vantage points & TIMES are welcomed.

Cheers, H.C

P.S, she's down on the timetable-details as "Saturday 24th at 7pm and Sunday 25th at 3:30pm " = THAT's ALL I KNOW, so far.

b308

Re: '60009' Trundling to M.N.R, Norfolk - Some Advice Needed

Post by b308 »

The people who own it have a FB page so you can follow it there:

https://www.facebook.com/cameronrailway/

BTW it's just an "A4 class", Mallard is just one of the class (though rather famous!), it didn't give it's name to the class. Just like the class that Flying Scotsman belongs to is known simply as the A3 class. Some loco classes have names (Halls, Castles, etc) and some don't.

The A4s do have a nickname though, known as "streaks"!
Buelligan

Post by Buelligan »

If you can find which way it's going, I find google maps invaluable in finding vantage points for passing trains. You can see where the line is near the road, or over/under a bridge, then use street view to check if you can get a decent enough view. Last time for me was on holiday in Devon, 'Duchess of Sutherland' was on an outing. Not being local I didn't know where to go. Using google maps and street view I found a car park in a town, which was right next to the line giving a great view as it steamed by.

There are a couple of website you can use to see the planned route of all trains, but I forget their names at the moment. Normally lists the times it's expected at certain stations and junctions, then you can guesstimate what time it should be passing your chosen vantage point. This is all assuming you want to see it steaming by.

One site that often has things like this with times listed is Railadvent, I've found that particular site and facebook page very helpful.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

The Railway Magazine publishes the schedules for steam and diesel specials about a month ahead. You can get timings from the organizers sites usually a couple of weeks in advance, but always keep checking, NR can change their minds about timings and routings, sometimes with only 24hrs notice.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Hornchurch

Post by Hornchurch »

Bufferstop wrote:The Railway Magazine publishes the schedules for steam and diesel specials about a month ahead. You can get timings from the organizers sites usually a couple of weeks in advance, but always keep checking, NR can change their minds about timings and routings, sometimes with only 24hrs notice.
Buelligan wrote:If you can find which way it's going, I find google maps invaluable in finding vantage points for passing trains. You can see where the line is near the road, or over/under a bridge, then use street view to check if you can get a decent enough view. Last time for me was on holiday in Devon, 'Duchess of Sutherland' was on an outing.

Not being local I didn't know where to go. Using google maps and street view I found a car park in a town, which was right next to the line giving a great view as it steamed by.
'

Many thanks lads for your replies - Buelligan, you've kinda read my mind, as that's where I've been, before this.

About an hour before making this post/reply, I was already doing what you'd exactly suggested, so I resonate with your post.

Actually, your post raised a (large), smile from me, as it's pretty much the predicament I'm already in (Glad it worked for you)

Before I ever opened this thread there were only TWO vantage points that I know of, without extra outside help (local knowledge)

Without giving the game away (& thereby making it crowded, the No.1 spot has room for about ten people, but is right on the road.

It's what I consider to be a "precarious perch" at best, but it MAY (yet) prove to be THE best spot.

Sadly, it's been THREE YEARS since I last set foot there & that was only for about 1-hr (in summer 2016)

Am currently hoping the goalposts haven't shifted & the spot "is" still available.

In fact, I only went onto 'Google Maps', just to re-acquaint myself with the spot AND overall layout

(Three long years is worrying & awkward for MY Alzheimer's type memory, so it NEEDED refreshing, this week)

Lastly, a "Hallelujah" moment occurred for me, as tonight, they seem to've posted TIMETABLES that were not there the other day

That in itself is an absolute Godsend, as trying to avoid crowds & stay 'occupied' during the (many) lulls, will prove challenging.

I only know of one other (excellent) side view, but the parking is a nightmare & didn't work well last time I tried.

For me, it's a bit like the old airshows & airbases that I used to attend - knowledge makes you gain the best vantage points.

Here's hoping that I don't do too badly on an engine that's as rare as rocking-horse droppings in my limited railway world.

Buelligan

Post by Buelligan »

Hornchurch wrote:
Bufferstop wrote:The Railway Magazine publishes the schedules for steam and diesel specials about a month ahead. You can get timings from the organizers sites usually a couple of weeks in advance, but always keep checking, NR can change their minds about timings and routings, sometimes with only 24hrs notice.
Buelligan wrote:If you can find which way it's going, I find google maps invaluable in finding vantage points for passing trains. You can see where the line is near the road, or over/under a bridge, then use street view to check if you can get a decent enough view. Last time for me was on holiday in Devon, 'Duchess of Sutherland' was on an outing.

Not being local I didn't know where to go. Using google maps and street view I found a car park in a town, which was right next to the line giving a great view as it steamed by.
'

Many thanks lads for your replies - Buelligan, you've kinda read my mind, as that's where I've been, before this.

About an hour before making this post/reply, I was already doing what you'd exactly suggested, so I resonate with your post.

Actually, your post raised a (large), smile from me, as it's pretty much the predicament I'm already in (Glad it worked for you)

Before I ever opened this thread there were only TWO vantage points that I know of, without extra outside help (local knowledge)

Without giving the game away (& thereby making it crowded, the No.1 spot has room for about ten people, but is right on the road.

It's what I consider to be a "precarious perch" at best, but it MAY (yet) prove to be THE best spot.

Sadly, it's been THREE YEARS since I last set foot there & that was only for about 1-hr (in summer 2016)

Am currently hoping the goalposts haven't shifted & the spot "is" still available.

In fact, I only went onto 'Google Maps', just to re-acquaint myself with the spot AND overall layout

(Three long years is worrying & awkward for MY Alzheimer's type memory, so it NEEDED refreshing, this week)

Lastly, a "Hallelujah" moment occurred for me, as tonight, they seem to've posted TIMETABLES that were not there the other day

That in itself is an absolute Godsend, as trying to avoid crowds & stay 'occupied' during the (many) lulls, will prove challenging.

I only know of one other (excellent) side view, but the parking is a nightmare & didn't work well last time I tried.

For me, it's a bit like the old airshows & airbases that I used to attend - knowledge makes you gain the best vantage points.

Here's hoping that I don't do too badly on an engine that's as rare as rocking-horse droppings in my limited railway world.

Good luck, hope you manage to get a good view, and maybe a few photos too if possible!

I've turned vantage point hunting into a bit of a hobby too. We only get about 3 steam services a year along the line round here, so I like to try and get as good a view or as nice a photo as possible. Parking less of an issue for me as I go out on my motorcycle so fairly easy to pull into small gaps.

Is the MNR the railway that goes through Dereham? If so, I know you can see the line from the pub/mcdonalds/Aldi car park, as we went for lunch there on holiday and as we pulled in there was a diesel just passing. Not a great view as from memory there's a tall metal fence there, but to see it close up through the fence its not too bad from memory.
b308

Post by b308 »

I suspect most of you are responsible, but just as a reminder, please DO NOT go inside the fence. We still have lots of delays caused by people finding a better spot to take their photo inside the boundary fence which causes us issues on safety and our passengers hours of grief when they miss their connections. Bear in mind that this also applies to your local Preserved railway as well!!
Buelligan

Post by Buelligan »

b308 wrote:I suspect most of you are responsible, but just as a reminder, please DO NOT go inside the fence. We still have lots of delays caused by people finding a better spot to take their photo inside the boundary fence which causes us issues on safety and our passengers hours of grief when they miss their connections. Bear in mind that this also applies to your local Preserved railway as well!!
I've never seen the point in putting yourself in danger, or delaying others, so that you can get a bit closer. I prefer to have a photo of the full engine, and if you're too far away, that's what a zoom is for isn't it?
Buelligan

Post by Buelligan »

Just seen that they’ve posted times for the journey now:
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U ... 3/advanced