00/H0 15'x11' Simple orbital shelf layout

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
simplealec

00/H0 15'x11' Simple orbital shelf layout

Post by simplealec »

I'm going to build a shelf layout so that my trains can be displayed and run in a large 15'x11' basement room. Since this room is primarily used as a family room, I'm planning to use a shelf about 4"-6" wide that runs continuously around the walls at around 7' from the ground, so that the trains are not in the way and are protected from being knocked. It should also not obstruct the doorway. The greyed track in the bottom right is where the door is, I've put a single track section here to pull it in slightly from the wall as there's some protruding molding around the door frame.

I'm somewhat out of touch with model railways as it's been 10 years since my last attempt at a layout. I intend to use PECO Code 100 as this is easily available and relatively cheap. I've decided to use curved points in the corners of the layout to increase the lengths of the straight sections as much as possible. This layout is intended mostly to display static trains, but with each being on a passing loop so that one train can be freely running around the room.

If my measuring is correct, this should allow for 4 trains of varying length to be displayed, while a 5th is able to run around the track. 2 would need to be no longer than 3' as that's the shortest passing loop section, 1 more could be up to 6', and 2 more could be up to 9' in length, although at this time I have no trains even remotely that long.

The layout will be DC as my stock is all older stuff, and a layout this simple would get minimal benefit from DCC at a considerable cost to upgrade my fleet. The points themselves should be sufficient to switch power between the passing loops, although I've never built a layout with this much track before so I'll see if I need any additional wiring solutions, such as a power bus. I don't know if this would help ensure consistent power all the way around the circuit or if it'd be redundant in this case.

I'm going to post updates once I start building the shelves and laying the track in the next couple of months. I welcome your comments and advice in the meantime!
Bufferstop

Re: 00/H0 15'x11' Simple orbital shelf layout

Post by Bufferstop »

I know curved points give more length in the straights but the.set track ones are too small radius on the inner route for many locomotives to negotiate. You'll find plenty of reports of people swapping them out for ordinary turnouts.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
simplealec

Post by simplealec »

Bufferstop wrote:I know curved points give more length in the straights but the.set track ones are too small radius on the inner route for many locomotives to negotiate. You'll find plenty of reports of people swapping them out for ordinary turnouts.
According to peco, the outer radius is 60" which is the same as the large radius points, and the inner radius is 30" which is between small and medium radius points (24" and 36" respectively). So, are the points not at least second radius, like the set curves I'm using? Or did I miss something...
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

No one has ever been able to explain what is the problem but one comment was "it's not just what happens in the point but how the wheels arrive there" I found that a loco which which had no problem negotiating them on its own would derail if it was pulling a load. The streamline points seem to be better but need more space to create smooth curves throughout.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Through my personal experience, unless you are keeping to large radius curved points I would avoid curved points, as the frog flangeways tend to bounce wheels a little too much so derailments are more likely.
The plan is a nice one. Be aware that one does need to clean track and it maybe an idea to put some sort of transparent edge or some sort of fence to prevent stock from falling off should it leave the rails.
simplealec

Post by simplealec »

Thanks for the comments so far. I'm concerned now about the curved points so I'll probably scrap them... which is disappointing as it does make the overall plan worse. Likely the straights will be shorter and the corners more obtrusive into the room.

My plan for cleaning is to have the shelves relatively easily detachable from their supports, so that I can lift down sections for cleaning. This means those sections will need to attach electrically by plug rather than fishplates, and track alignment might be tricky but I reckon if it can be done for exhibition layouts, it can't be that hard to achieve in a controlled environment such as this.

Regarding a fence or barrier, that's going to be difficult as it might obscure the trains and defeat the point of having them on display. But the models certainly wouldn't survive a drop from that height so I see your point. I'll have to think about that.
Flashbang

Post by Flashbang »

simplealec wrote: According to peco, the outer radius is 60" which is the same as the large radius points, and the inner radius is 30" which is between small and medium radius points (24" and 36" respectively). So, are the points not at least second radius, like the set curves I'm using? Or did I miss something...
The Peco curved Streamline point is to that larger radius. Their curved Setrack (and Hornby too) are to radius 2 curve.
Your plan shows Setrack pieces on the left menu! 'ST' prefixed items.

Which are you going to use? Setrack or Streamline as both come in Code 100 rail profile.

The SL Streamline curved point I have used without issues all due to its larger radius, but it is not a 'drop in' replacement for a ST Setrack point as its footprint is very much larger and it automatically sets parallel tracks to 50mm centres unlike Setrack which is 67mm centres
Radius 2 is 17 1/4" inches (438mm)
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.
simplealec

Post by simplealec »

I've swapped out the set track curved points for streamline electrofrog points, and I've swapped the 2nd radius curves for 18" radius flex track, since this is the smallest radius for which a tracksetta is available from peco, and it's near enough 2nd radius. It's actually not that different from the first plan, maybe 6" lost from the straights, which is no big deal on this scale anyway. I've put down a 15½'x11' baseboard in the design, and I'm assuming a 6" wide shelf will be sufficient for the track (obviously not the corners).

simplealec

Post by simplealec »

After looking at this again a week later, I've realised that the streamline radius curved points are so long and gentle that they take up more space than simply using streamline small radius (straight) points. Those would also be easier to work with since they have a straight edge to align to the board, and then the corners would also be 90 degrees (instead of 74 degrees using the 7 degree curved points) so I could use set track second radius for those instead, for simplicity.

I'm aware that I could just use set track points (straight ones) but I'm inclined towards streamline spacing for the straights, and also I want to use electrofrog points for the best possible slow speed smoothness.

Is it likely I'm going to run into issues running most stock on second radius in the corners, or should I consider third radius?
NedFlanders

Post by NedFlanders »

Hi there,

I've not had much experience but I do have quite a few 2nd radius curves on my in build layout - during testing it was invariably at points or at bad joints in the track ( big gaps, slightly twisted) etc. where any derailments occurred. Once identified and sorted nothing had an issue with the Radius 2.

We did have a TrackMat layout before that which even had radius 1 curves on it. the only loco/stock that we had that had an issue with the radius 1 was a Hornby class 40.

The stock we run is mostly Hornby Railroad or its equivalent - e.g second hand purchase from ebay of old Hornby, lima etc. stock. An eclectic mix of steam, Diesel and electric ( eurostar).

This might give you a rough idea of what we run on them - apologies for the poor quality I was testing a digital camera with the lighting in the room - not one I will be repeating. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVudqJM ... hHkJrNNCST All the trains in the clip run perfectly happy on Radius 2. A Hornby Ketley Hall is the using the radius 2 track in the clip.

We do have one oddball loco - a Bachman HO Hogwarts castle that doesnt like the radius 2 curves but i suspect thats down to a spot of maintenance being needed. Its been in the Bad Loco Corner for about 5 years now..... one of these days.

I was one of those soldiers that tried the set curved track points and had both random and consistent derailments with them ( depending on the stock). I replaced them with three way points instead.

I like your design, its similar to one i had in my head for either a simple exhibition layout with auto control or something for my sons bedroom, I could see a couple of trains heading in both directions stopping and waiting in various loops until they had a clear road - best of luck with the plans.

Ned.
Getting back into railways, one step at a time.
Ned's Workbench - https://tinyurl.com/y4jby73c
The UppydownyRoundyRoundyRailway - https://tinyurl.com/y6stelsr
simplealec

Post by simplealec »

NedFlanders wrote:Hi there,

I've not had much experience but I do have quite a few 2nd radius curves on my in build layout - during testing it was invariably at points or at bad joints in the track ( big gaps, slightly twisted) etc. where any derailments occurred. Once identified and sorted nothing had an issue with the Radius 2.

I like your design, its similar to one i had in my head for either a simple exhibition layout with auto control or something for my sons bedroom, I could see a couple of trains heading in both directions stopping and waiting in various loops until they had a clear road - best of luck with the plans.

Ned.
Thanks Ned for your encouragement. I will stick with 2nd radius curves. I think I'm happy with the design now although I don't know about having more than one train moving at once, as fun as that sounds. I'm going to keep this one as simple as possible to increase the likelihood of it actually getting built. I suppose I could add more complex functionality later on once it's working. I'll be happy to have a bunch of trains on display even with only one moving!

Speaking of moving, I've still got a few things to work out as I've only been in the house for just over a month, but I'm hoping to purchase the wood I need for the shelves next month, and once those are up, order the track. Exciting times!
simplealec

Post by simplealec »

Here's the final plan. Parts list is nice and simple, as follows:
  • SL-100 x 23
  • SL-E91 x 5
  • SL-E92 x 3
  • ST-226 x 8