Triang/Hornby Stephensons Rocket

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
Buelligan

Re: Triang/Hornby Stephensons Rocket

Postby Buelligan » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:51 am

Well it was working fine, needed a little push to get it going, but once going it was fine. Then I cleaned the wheels to try and get it so it didn't need a push start, and now it barely works at all! No idea what I've done to it any help or suggestions are much appreciated.

footplate1947

Postby footplate1947 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:02 am

Did you ever solve the poor running on Peco Points. If not why don't you reduce the flanges down. It is quite easy to take a mm off the flanges and reduce the flange back a tad if needed. You can do it with a drill preferably using a slower speed and fine files. I have reshaped old Triang wheel flanges on several old Triang locos using that method. One was a Princess from the 50s, and she runs fine on Peco code 100 points including the newer types with the finer scale clearances.
It worked last time I used it..............John

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:18 am

Buelligan wrote:Well it was working fine, needed a little push to get it going, but once going it was fine. Then I cleaned the wheels to try and get it so it didn't need a push start, and now it barely works at all! No idea what I've done to it any help or suggestions are much appreciated.

It's a bit of a delicate flower because it is split chassis, this from those I know who have fiddled with them. Does it run well if power (low setting on controller) is applied to the motor brushes/chassis halves? If so then try wheels one side, chassis half the other side - and vice versa - to determine if the pick up is the trouble, and if so is the deficiency located on one side.

footplate1947 wrote:Did you ever solve the poor running on Peco Points. If not why don't you reduce the flanges down. It is quite easy to take a mm off the flanges and reduce the flange back a tad if needed. You can do it with a drill preferably using a slower speed and fine files. I have reshaped old Triang wheel flanges on several old Triang locos using that method. One was a Princess from the 50s, and she runs fine on Peco code 100 points including the newer types with the finer scale clearances.

While this is true of old Triang with chunky steel axles firmly seated in sintered iron wheels, and something I have done on several old items, I wouldn't attempt it on a Rocket without first considering a plan to rebuild the wheelsets. It's not the same construction at all, and far less robust.

footplate1947

Postby footplate1947 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:35 am

Hello Bigmet I did not know how it was constructed as I don't have one and have never worked on the Rocket. I do plan to get one and have been looking for one in new condition, when one pops up if I have the readies available I will grab it. Sorry I was not much help with your problems. ...John
It worked last time I used it..............John

Buelligan

Postby Buelligan » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:11 am

Bigmet wrote:
Buelligan wrote:Well it was working fine, needed a little push to get it going, but once going it was fine. Then I cleaned the wheels to try and get it so it didn't need a push start, and now it barely works at all! No idea what I've done to it any help or suggestions are much appreciated.

It's a bit of a delicate flower because it is split chassis, this from those I know who have fiddled with them. Does it run well if power (low setting on controller) is applied to the motor brushes/chassis halves? If so then try wheels one side, chassis half the other side - and vice versa - to determine if the pick up is the trouble, and if so is the deficiency located on one side.

Thanks, I'll give it a go sometime. Everything is in various boxes at the moment as we're hoping to be moving house. But when we know either way, I can get everything out and try what you suggest. Hopefully I'll be able to get it working properly.

Chops

Postby Chops » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:09 am

Mike Parkes wrote:Looks like this X500 motor is missing the brushes X567 and the contact sprung rod S6503
http://www.lendonsmodelshop.co.uk/pdf/T ... 20X500.pdf
The red wire goes to the brush that is insulated from the sprung rod by the sleeve S6828; the wire would have fitted to a piece of metal identically shaped to the top of the brushes.
Note that this model uses a split chassis proving that a properly made split chassis can last years.

Thanks Mike, I am in progress of obtaining some brushes for this x500. In the meantime, I tried various ways to wedge a motor into a coach,
and see if it can be made to push. I got a reasonable chassis to fit, but every motor in the scrap box is a few mm to tall to wedge into the
coach body. If I end up getting the reworked coach AND the locomotive powered, so much the better.

rocket repair 2.jpg
I don't care what they say. I believe in Nessie.

Mike Parkes

Postby Mike Parkes » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:32 am

footplate1947 wrote:Hello Bigmet I did not know how it was constructed as I don't have one and have never worked on the Rocket. I do plan to get one and have been looking for one in new condition, when one pops up if I have the readies available I will grab it. Sorry I was not much help with your problems. ...John

The Rocket has a split chassis proving that such a mechanism can work well over a long time provided it is of good quality. Hence the wheels are stub fitted into a insulating bush as shown on the service sheet http://www.hornbyguide.com/service_shee ... heetid=127 Consequently there is little to grip onto (or which might not break during filing process

Chops

Postby Chops » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:16 pm

It would appear I have 20 mm from chassis floor to interior roof top. I have been trying to find something on-line,
but am left uncertain. Can anyone recommend something of that length?
I don't care what they say. I believe in Nessie.

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”