Hornby McVities

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
IAN1955

Hornby McVities

Postby IAN1955 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:17 pm

Okay what is the difference pleas.
Just obtained a couple of Hornby McVities wagons on the box it says R137 and on the other it says R727, I cannot see the difference so what is it Thanks all

End2end

Re: Hornby McVities

Postby End2end » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:23 pm

From what I can see looking at both of them, nothing. I thnk Hornby have just changed the catalogue number.
They both have the same old style couplings and wheels which would be the immediate place to look for any changes.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:20 pm

I've never understood Triang R numbers (they are actually Rovex), they did seem to get re-used, and you will sometimes find evidence of the tooling being altered to stamp a new number. I suspect that for some period of time their system couldn't cope with four figure numbers, so they just went round again re using ones that had been out of production for some time.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

minipix

Postby minipix » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:53 pm

Oooh, I've got one of those! I'm curious though, were there any real-life versions of this?
Frontington & Backwoods Railway: https://www.matthewdawkins.co.uk/catego ... way-build/
LocoSound - sound effects for DC model railways: https://mafu-d.github.io/loco-sound

Pennine MC

Postby Pennine MC » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:53 am

minipix wrote:Oooh, I've got one of those! I'm curious though, were there any real-life versions of this?

Nope, not in either appearance or livery. The body is vaguely suggestive of the VAA/VBA/VCA/VDA series of BR air braked vans of the late '60s and '70s, but why it was made to not fit the chassis is anybody's guess

Mike Parkes

Postby Mike Parkes » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:00 pm

The original catalogue number was R137, it was renumbered R727 on the basis that it would have a painted finish. Hornby c1980 realising its market share was being affected due to the use of pre-coloured plastic. Whether any actually appeared in a painted finish is doubtful.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”