Night Mail

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Chops

Night Mail

Postby Chops » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:19 am

Nessie rocks!

footplate1947

Re: Night Mail

Postby footplate1947 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:03 am

Good old film chops...........The last TPO (Travelling Post Office) train ran in 2004 I believe. Well around that time anyway. I read somewhere that the coaches were sold on to Railway Preservation socys: I dont know which ones.........john
It worked last time I used it..............John

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:54 am

Nice one.
I have the original film on VHS but no player.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:31 am

footplate1947 wrote: I read somewhere that the coaches were sold on to Railway Preservation socys: I dont know which ones.........john

Great Central! They run regular demos of pick up and setdown on the move. Plans are being drawn up to run a demo on the main network which will be quite a coupe if the can do it, as the equipment to do it had not been used for some years when the coaches were withdrawn.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

footplate1947

Postby footplate1947 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:30 pm

Thanks for telling us what is going on with the old Mail coaches Bufferstop.. Seeing them picking up and dropping off bags would be great fun.
I wonder if post movement by train will ever come back. In these days of electric trains just think how much improvement that would be taking thousands of diesel mail truck journeys off the roads. Food for thought.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:51 am

The worst bit of HGV driving I have ever witnessed, was two Royal Mail vans Joining the M6 at Lancaster around midnight in a snowstorm. They made no allowance for the weather, but would still have qualified as dangerous driving in good conditions. What's this to do with trains? It was in the week after they cancelled the mail trains contract, and as I later discovered their destination was Carlisle. I just hope the late hour meant there was less risk to anyone else.

footplate1947

Postby footplate1947 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:50 am

Remember where I worked in Basildon at the rear of the fire station over the road was the sorting office and on the entrance was a sign in big letters (can't remember exact wording) DANGER ROYAL MAIL VANS or something like that The big red Danger use to make me smile.........John

footplate1947

Postby footplate1947 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:04 pm

I remember back in the early 90s we attended an RTA on the A127 Laindon. It was late at night and mid winter very cold a good few inches of snow on the ground and roads were like ice rink. When we arrived we found that a Royal Mail lorry had left the dual Carriageway and crossed over a grass verge through a hedge and continued through the garden wall and proceeded across the front garden and embedded itself in the front room of the house.
I asked the driver how fast he was going, and he replied, not very, quite slowly really. I think the slowly bit must have started when it hit the wall of the house.
The amassing thing was against the front wall inside the house was a glass display cabinet containing the lady's best china and this was propelled across the room. Unbelievably, the glass cabinet and its contents were still all intact. Nothing was broken. Amassing.

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:15 pm

Before this gets into a 'slanging match' against lorry drivers -- you know the car driver that cuts up the inside as a wagon is turning left, or the car driver that stops behind a lorry that is already reversing. -- And there is many more. :lol:

footplate1947 wrote: I wonder if post movement by train will ever come back. In these days of electric trains just think how much improvement that would be taking thousands of diesel mail truck journeys off the roads. Food for thought.

I very much doubt it (for a considerable time anyway) Most Post Office sorting letter and parcels are now close to main road network and further away from rail stations.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

footplate1947

Postby footplate1947 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:20 pm

What do you mean a slanging match. I thought we were just have friendly chat. You're not a postman are you :)

footplate1947

Postby footplate1947 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:27 pm

Depots can be moved and systems can change. That is a fact. If it is going to be cheaper for Royal to go back to railways they will. And with the prospect of oil fuels costing huge sums of money in the future because the government will tax it to the hilt because of pollution and climate change.

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:50 pm

footplate1947 wrote: You're not a postman are you :)

I have been around road transport for nigh on 65 years, 31 in Royal Mail :)

Glencairn

footplate1947

Postby footplate1947 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:20 pm

Good evens Royal Mail Glen, well well, so you were with The post Office nearly as long as my Dad. He was at Little Britain most of that time. It is a small world. I drove HGV for about 20yrs myself The Fire engines were the most fun to drive. But I did draw the line at multi drop that is just plain boring.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:58 pm

Although the driving was very unsafe, even if the weather had been perfect, I could sympathise with the situation the drivers found themselves in. They doubtless had a nearly impossible time for the journey. Probably planned with speeds all set at max for a car, and no allowance for statutory breaks. Because it had to work out cheaper and faster than the trains they'd just ditched

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:34 am

Bufferstop wrote:Although the driving was very unsafe, even if the weather had been perfect, I could sympathise with the situation the drivers found themselves in. They doubtless had a nearly impossible time for the journey. Probably planned with speeds all set at max for a car, and no allowance for statutory breaks. Because it had to work out cheaper and faster than the trains they'd just ditched

Is Bufferstop out to upset me? I could dispute the comments, as I was in charge of every Post Office Parcels vehicle on the road from the outskirts of London, north to the outskirts of Glasgow; but not here.

Night Mail

I have on DVD Night Mail and Night Mail 2

Also a book on the making of Night Mail (1) An interesting read.

IMG_2626.JPG

Glencairn

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”