8x4 roundy round- Lemmington - minor update page 14

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Chops

Re: 8x4 roundy round- scenery update page 11

Postby Chops » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:57 am

I could sit and stare for hours at that thing. If you find the time, I'd just love to see some video of it in motion.
I don't care what they say. I believe in Nessie.

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:29 pm

Thank you everyone.
Dublo yes a bit of scenery has definitely made a difference. Im quite fond of the viaduct myself, it is really quite enjoyable watching engines run over it. Hopefully you wont have to wait quite so long for the next update!

Rb277170 thankyou for the comments. As for filling every part of a layout with track theres benefit to have that for operational interest, and with well planned scenery can still keep an air of realisim. I was determined starting this I wanted the layout to be very scenic, and with my eldest son being only 5 theres plenty of interest for him just running trains in a loop. Theres a bit of operational interest in the far side of the station into the goods yard but over all a few more sidings would give you something to do.

Chops, Im glad your enjoying the photos. I like your comments in regards to simpler times, I think thats the main reason Ive enjoyed the hobby so much. As long as I can remember, since being a lad I have enjoyed dabbling in the hobby and getting a chance to sit and model or run trains now, especially with the younglings takes me back. In the coming weeks we should have the station area mostly complete and Ill be sure to take some video.

Robbo, cheers mate. As a whole Im quite happy with it having a real enough appearance, static grass beats the old days of coloured sawdust haha. The set track curves do bug me a bit though and the compression to fit in the goods shed but have to compromise. We can still run 3 coach trains comfortably so that's nice. Its been a good learning curve however and I do look foward to upping the game for the next ( chances much smaller) project. Might have to invest in a static grass applicator, although Ive had reasonable results applying by hand.

Thanks Alan. Considering the day I came home and my daughter Evelyn had decided to pull all the sheep off William had glued on the night before, dads private room wouldnt be half bad hahaha. But the purpose was to do this with them and for them, which has been great.

Thank you manna. Im going to have to set a timetable soon for William to run trains to so he doesnt run out of things to do. Hes been very excited by it even making sure to tell people at the store checkouts hes helping his dad build a train set. He was keen again tonight but we were busy unfortunately so Ill have to make it up to him after work tomorrow.

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:00 pm

joshv8 wrote:
Thank you manna. Im going to have to set a timetable soon for William to run trains

Don't be surprised if William has his own timetable. :lol:

When my grandchildren arrive they run 'what they like'. :lol:

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:02 pm

brilliant work!

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:54 pm

Glencairn I think you may be right :lol: Your industries with your new chimney are looking great, makes a great looking sky line.

Michaelaface thankyou. Looking foward to updates from yourself also!

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:25 am

So we're close to completion on our goods yard so thought we would put up some pics, William and I had a running session this morning. It was quite early with the sun just coming in so forgive photo's being a bit dark.

We also have a name for our station. Lemmington. Fitting with naming things after the kids young William has confused the computer game of Lemmings with the cake, lamington, and keeps calling the game Lemmingtons. So as a laugh, thats our station.

We put out newly acquired ks Johnson 0-4-0 in view for today. Shes going to run well it seems but needs a good clean and service.

20190615_082142-800x600.jpg

20190615_082051-800x600.jpg

20190615_105859-800x600.jpg

20190615_105639-800x600.jpg

20190615_105519-800x600.jpg

Dublo

Re: 8x4 roundy round- Lemmington - update page 12

Postby Dublo » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:56 am

Hello William
Fantastic layout you have made, I suspect you let Dad help a little.
Joking aside fantastic railway Josh and the Gov'nor looks well and truly happy.

manna

Postby manna » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:05 am

G'Day Gents & William

Wow, that's coming on, that 'Goods Shed' is excellent, and I like that little 0-4-0.

What you need now is a Brown wagon, covered in coconut........ :lol:

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:01 am

I wish I could model to such a standard, but I'm useless haha.

Your layout looks really great.

Alexander

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:29 am

Excellent modelling. Well done.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

BrightonMan

Postby BrightonMan » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:59 pm

Really nice layout & excellent use of an 8 x 4 space, really inspiring :)

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:55 pm

Dublo, manna, Alexander Court, Glencairn and BrightonMan thankyou. Our next area is to sort some fences for the platform and surrounding areas from the level crossing and service station through to the station masters house.

footplate1947

Postby footplate1947 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:33 am

That all is looking very nice the only thing I am not to keen on is that poly foam stuff you have used as a base. One problem you could have is not bing able to tack down the track very well and points need to be held down flat on the boards firmly or in time they can bow upwards in the middle. This can cause some locos and rolling stock to derail over points.
I don't know about the foam you have there but some foam can play havoc with some wiring insulation.
Would be interesting to know how you got on with pinning down the track and points in particular,
It worked last time I used it..............John

footplate1947

Postby footplate1947 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:35 am

I must say by the look on your boy's face, he is in heaven.
It worked last time I used it..............John

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:41 am

footplate1947 wrote:That all is looking very nice the only thing I am not to keen on is that poly foam stuff you have used as a base. One problem you could have is not bing able to tack down the track very well and points need to be held down flat on the boards firmly or in time they can bow upwards in the middle. This can cause some locos and rolling stock to derail over points.
I don't know about the foam you have there but some foam can play havoc with some wiring insulation.
Would be interesting to know how you got on with pinning down the track and points in particular,

Thanks John. This was a learning curve for us and an introduction to layout building for the first time in about 20 years. I've mentioned previously the last layout I did was back in the days of flock/ coloured sawdust for scenery so things like static grass I find quite amazing.
I had initially planned a larger, thomas themed layout for the kids but ultimately decided on something smaller that they can play with, I can run some of my engines and ultimately it would be a good learning opportunity. And Ive learnt a lot.

Overall I like the polystyrene method, it gives a very solid base for scenery, the toilet paper/ pva covering gives a good hard shell over the top. The kids lean on it and it holds shape, its very kid friendly. I could achieve strong results with a frame work and plaster cloth but this can be expensive. The polystyrene method has been cheap.

It was mentioned to me by Mountain early on there can be a fire hazard with certain foams ( not something your told when this method is suggested by others for building a layout) so anywhere there's droppers under the rails theres gaps in the foam to save contact with the wiring. As I said learning, to do this again I would raise the line on the base board and use foam only in the scenic areas, keeping i wood under the track. The greatest thing about that thick foam base however is anywhere you want a ditch or a low, you simply dig it out. You cant achieve that with wood without a lot of planning and for me building this, the scenery wasnt quite set in stone so its allowed me to manipulate highs and lows as I see fit.

As for the track lifting it was pva glued down with aquadhere ( which is very strong) then obviously its ballasted and covered in glue mix again so id be very surprised if the track ever lifts. Again though perhaps it could but its all learning and Ill be mounting track straight to a wooden base in the future.

As for the young feller, he definitely enjoys it!

Cheers, Josh

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”