Stay alive

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
Corsavxr

Stay alive

Postby Corsavxr » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:33 pm

Hi all

Is it possible to fit a stay alive to a Digitrax DZ126T decoder? It is to keep power to an electro magnet for a container crane I have built. When transversing it seems to lose power and wonder if this would be an option?

I’m using the forward lighting function 500mA.

Kind regards

Iain

Mod Note> Post moved to the DCC Forum area where it should get better results.

Bigmet

Re: Stay alive

Postby Bigmet » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:04 pm

Before moving to a solution, it is better to fully define the problem cause(s).Questions that I would ask are:
How does power reach the decoder? Is it via wheels on rails much as a conventional locomotive? (If this is how the decoder receives power, a stay alive may help.)
Is there any evidence of other functions - such as traverse - losing power when the electromagnet loses power?
What is the total current draw on the decoder when the electromagnet loses power, is it greater than the decoder's rated output?
How does power reach the electromagnet? is it a direct wired connection to the decoder, or via another moving contact connection?
(These are aspects which may not necessarily be improved by addition of a stay alive.)

As for the possibility of adding a stay alive, consult the decoder manual of the specific item.

Ironduke

Re: Stay alive

Postby Ironduke » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:31 pm

http://www.digitrax.com/products/mobile ... rs/dz126t/ says no.

"Due to the extremely small size of this decoder, it does not accept PX Power Xtenders." Which are what Digitrax calls its stay alive modules.
Regards
Rob

Return to “DCC Forum”