New / Old - Little Weldon

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Bufferstop

Re: New / Old - Little Weldon

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:37 am

Converting the two rail version to three rail was never much of a problem if you could get hold of a 3 rail pickup unit from a life expired loco. I reckon someone is still putting 2 Triang motor bogies into their diesels if the number of Triang class 101 DMUs offered for sale minus the motor bogie is an indication. I picked up a two car one in great condition very cheap. The lack of the motor bogie was no loss as I wanted to remotor it with a spare SPUD that I had.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:33 pm

I thought that I had seen the 08's in 3 rail form being advertized in the past, as when I wanted a 2 rail version (Hornby Dublo or Wrenn) all I could find were 3 rail versions.... I did eventually get a Wrenn version in 2 rail like I wanted but it took me a few years to track down. Seems when one aants a 2 rail plenty of 3 rail versions pop up but when one wants a 3 rail lots of 2 rail versions are to be seen!

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:30 pm

I've never found out, not curious enough, when HD produced an all new loco in 2 rail, did the subsequent three tail version have insulated wheels on one side, or did they produce 3 rail non insulated wheel sets?

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:22 pm

Hello Bufferstop
In answer to your question in the case of the West Country. There were two types of driving wheels one set for 3 rail and the insulated ones for 2 rail. The bogey and pony wheels along with the tender were nylon. Presumably the older models had two sets of wheels too.

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:22 pm

Hello all
Not much in the way of modelling has taken place on Little Weldon for a while, it's the busy time of the year on the Allotment. However a few short running sessions have taken place. From this a problem has a risen, that is power to the up mainline has failed. One half of my trusty H & M Duette has ceased to work at all. I am now wary of using it at all. Can anybody either point me in the right direction for a possible repair / service or recommend an alternative transformer, controller. Obviously I wish to remain DC.

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:23 pm

IMG_20190322_063643.jpg
IMG_20190402_175901.jpg

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Wed May 01, 2019 12:42 pm

Its been a while since Ive had a chance to check in but looking fantastic bud! I quite like your matchstick fence. Did you split them in half for the pailings? Some really nice running photos in there also.

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Wed May 08, 2019 6:59 am

Hello all
Work has started on the corner extension to allow further earthworks to develop Castle hil. A program of deforestation has taken place in the immediate environment with more still planned as areas of the Bailey walls are created. Additional polystyrene has been glued and roughly carved to shape prior to the Mod Roc and plaster works.
IMG_20190508_063449.jpg

Just to give a feel of how it's going my first piece of ruined wall has been temporarily sited on the top.
IMG_20190508_063351.jpg

IMG_20190508_063428.jpg

Note the use of the over scale shoring piece of timber.

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Wed May 08, 2019 7:32 am

Should make for an interesting feature!

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Mon May 13, 2019 7:15 pm

Hello all
Good news.
A full service has been restored.
Trains on both Main lines. A "new" PaT tested Duette has been won on ebay and arrived here yesterday, wired in today.

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Tue May 14, 2019 12:12 am

Always nice to be up and running! We will be expecting some running pictures soon then?

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue May 14, 2019 4:58 pm

Mountain wrote:I thought that I had seen the 08's in 3 rail form being advertized in the past, as when I wanted a 2 rail version (Hornby Dublo or Wrenn) all I could find were 3 rail versions.... I did eventually get a Wrenn version in 2 rail like I wanted

There's history about the HD 08 Shunter and it's disappearance. After Wrenn had been handed all the remaining HD tooling, they searched for the 08 in vain. Eventually they worked out that the tools for the body moulding had been modified (in a permanent fashion) to produce the 0-4-0 diesel that was part of a short lived starter set. Getting the tools recreated cost a bomb and took ages.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue May 14, 2019 5:44 pm

That is a strange thing to do unless they expected to make new tooling for the body of the class 08 in future years.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue May 14, 2019 7:12 pm

There seemed to be a lot of "desperation descisons" in the last couple of years of operations at Binns Road, Meccano used to order huge runs of parts, particularly if they were done elsewhere, they probably thought they had enough raw 08 bodies to do another production run if needed. It was a policy that didn't serve them well, they scrapped a load of diecast bodies when MAZAK rot was shown to be down to lead in the mix.

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Mon May 20, 2019 6:20 am

Hello all.
This weeks Car Boot finds are a framed A3 copy of the 1937 LMS poster Scot meets Scot. Very dramatic, very sleek, very Art Deco this is now on the wall above Weldon station. Can't be bad at £3.00. Secondly two boxed Oxford diecast vehicles for £4.50 needless to say these are now on the layout. I'll have to be careful not to over do the amount of road vehicles.
I have been carrying out work on Castle Hill and the polystyrene has now received its covering of Mod Roc and plaster work, blending it into the existing hill. It has also been given a base coat of greenish brown paint. I'll give this a few days to dry out and harden up before carrying out any further ground coverings. This is all starting to take shape now.
I have been carrying on further experiments regarding Latex mould making. The liquid Latex is thinner than Copydex so more coats are needed to produce a sufficient thickness for the mould to retain its shape. I have found that if I keep my moulds the same depth as the Linka ones, they don't need any additional bracing.
I have also carried out some trials of Timbersurf's acetate windows these are also looking very encouraging. They look far better in reality than on the screen. These will be a useful resource for anyone producing their own buildings.
IMG_20190519_191428.jpg
Castle Hill with a cast ruined panel temporarily placed.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”