Llwyndrissi Halt.

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Mountain

Re: Llwyndrissi Halt.

Postby Mountain » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:14 pm

Go for it Berryman. The ideas I have are meant to be shared.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun May 26, 2019 5:35 pm

I have a waggon design on my mind. Well, I have some different sizes of U type lengths. Not exactly U but more angular. The idea is to make use of these. For about 6 to 8 months I have been exploring designs in my mind. I have come up with a plan which should work. I thought I would reserect this thread to say that though no physical work is currently in operation, the planning for this exciting new product has been churning away in my mental workshop for some while! So with a plan in mind, it should not be too long before I get to test to see if the rather novel and simple construction technique I have in mind will work or not.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:40 pm

Getting the boards ready for the scenic touch. Don't ask me what the scenic touch is as I don't know yet. I make it up as I go along.
I did break a little resin wheel used to guide the points. No problem. I will make a new one. I should have the odd casting spare.
Attachments
IMG_20190707_211732.jpg
IMG_20190707_211715.jpg
IMG_20190707_211650.jpg

End2end

Postby End2end » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:42 pm

Mountain wrote:I have not yet fully decided what will end up on my layout. All I can say is that it is not going to be a conventional scene. I am going to have some fun here with a tropical UK based theme with an interesting story involving a characterful individual.

For the milled box, what about a chap creating a dugout canoe to go with the tropical theme?
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:34 am

Not sure it is the right shape, but I could make another one.

End2end

Postby End2end » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:44 am

Or a (gulp) coffin? :shock: :lol:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

heda

Postby heda » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:55 pm

I like the sound of your plan Mountain, nice to see something a little different.
Dave

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:09 pm

The layout... It is almost a cross between a baseboard and an open frame layout I guess. Next job is to fill the holes with depth. :)

heda

Postby heda » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:34 pm

You could join the two holes at the top to make a lake and put a bridge over to add interest.
Dave

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:10 pm

Good idea. Also, at the other end of the layout I can do that too. The side you showed I can't do too deep as the legs fold up under it... But I can go to a certain depth. I shall see how things go.

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:48 pm

Great to see some progress Mountain! Ive been waiting to see some work on your layout. Im in awe of your work creating your own track and point levering system.
Do you find the baseboard was lightened significantly with the holes in place?
Did I catch that right your going for a tropical theme? Did you have plans for what you want to run goods or passengers?

footplate1947

Postby footplate1947 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:02 pm

I must say MG I commend you for the work you are putting in. It is brilliant work. Watching the progress and enjoying the every step of the way. That is what I call railway modelling. I could not do that.............john
It worked last time I used it..............John

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:47 pm

I keep having to remind myself that the track is 16.5mm, looks good for NG. If you can see NG sleepers they shouldn't be too close together, or remain above ground too long. If you can add some grass growing between them it's even better.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:49 am

Many thanks everyone for your kind comments and suggestions. Just incase anyone is puzzled. The two rows of circular holes will have platforms over them.

joshv8 wrote:Great to see some progress Mountain! Ive been waiting to see some work on your layout. Im in awe of your work creating your own track and point levering system.
Do you find the baseboard was lightened significantly with the holes in place?
Did I catch that right your going for a tropical theme? Did you have plans for what you want to run goods or passengers?

Yes, the baseboards are lighter now, but I expect they will end up heavier when I add the scenery.

I was half thinking of a type of British run railway on a tropical/jungle sort of island... though it depends on what will fit. I have some interesting buildings and features obtained from an unusual source (I couldn't resist when I saw them!) which, if I can blend them into the scenery on such a small layout without making things too crampt looking, it may work extremely well. It is not always easy to visualize scenes in a three dimentional image where some buildings will need raised ground while I also need to lower the ground for added effect. Some thought will be needed here.

I am going to run both goods and passenger services. A passenger train will trundle through a warm but damp enviroment, windows part misted up... Maybe the odd little waggon at the rear while the train is running...
I also have the idea of highlighting contrasts To make the colours stand out...
Another idea I had was to have a type of scene I have in a book where one looks down to see a Welsh quarry below... (Though space won't let me do this).

Though jungles are usually fullmof greens and browns, I want greys as in my mind, grey as a background brings interest to the scenic formations and any colour of trees and other plants along with brightly painted trains will really looks something special... So I don't quite know yet.

The buildings I have are ready painted and look supurb. But I am toying with an idea to paint them myself so that they blend in better. I don't think I will match the quality of the origional painter of these buildings, but I will end up with a consistent look, which is more important. I will see how things go and look, so if I do paint them, I'm not in a hurry to do so...

I could show some pictures of the buildings and scenic features I have purchased, or will that spoil the future surprize? :D

Just a little footnote. What I am making may look difficult, but it is merely trial and error. The joy of experimenting with things. I don't consider myself that tallented. It is more I have adopted a more traditional approach. I believe the difference to success and failure (And I have had many such past failures from my teens onwards, and still do) is more through altering design ideas and using more suitable materials and tools then being tallented. Just look at my soldering! :) One thing that is very different in my approach compared to when I was younger. I have patience. I am not in a rush to build things. I spend time thinking about things for ages before I build them. I find the thought process fun! If anything, the thought process (As I am a very visual thinker and a slow but deep thinker) is the part I believe I enjoy the most! I think daydreaming in todays fast pace of life is very underated).
Last edited by Mountain on Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:04 am

Keep us guessing, you've got us hooked!
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”