Mcbuffys buffet (OO, DC, 3.5x2.4m or 141x96")

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
joshv8

Re: Mcbuffys buffet (OO, DC, 3.5x2.4m or 141x96")

Post by joshv8 »

I think that turntables really very clever!
BuffyMcBuffer

Post by BuffyMcBuffer »

joshv8 wrote:I think that turntables really very clever!
thank you, it didn't workout thou as i was on carpet and didn't have a rebate underneath to put wiring for the track but i can always learn from this.

######################################################################################################################

New New update

so November, December, January and February came and went...... no monthly posts from me but all is good I'm alive and well

so this is what has been going on (cue slide show)

Lots of mess

side and end or room sorted plus started getting the work area laid. which on Saturday i got the end table put in and also has a massive tidy up

this was Sunday afternoons work plus more time after tea

was going to go for a tunnel but changed plans to have a bridge instead, shame as i got it about right.

(if you are wondering if that damp board is staying on the roof it is not, i have put batterers on the rafters to move it away from the polystyrene to create an air gap)

well that's that so far people not bad for making it the layout up on the spot
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

I once had one of those tunnel entrances. They used to be green and were places either side of a cardboard tunnel. The stonework looks so convincing I pained mine grey like that. (I ended up with just one as the second dissapeared). About a year or two ago I believe I sold it at a model railway fair as I was reducing my 00 gauge collection.
The Hornby and Lima coaches run very nicely. I once went to start replacing them for modern Bachmann Mk1's when they first came out. Big mistake! I had assumed the Bachmann coaches would run well. Well, I decided to sell thw Bachmann coaches cheap and kept the older Lima and Hornby versions. At least they behaved themselves! :lol:
BuffyMcBuffer

Post by BuffyMcBuffer »

Mountain wrote:I once had one of those tunnel entrances. They used to be green and were places either side of a cardboard tunnel. The stonework looks so convincing I pained mine grey like that. (I ended up with just one as the second dissapeared). About a year or two ago I believe I sold it at a model railway fair as I was reducing my 00 gauge collection.
The Hornby and Lima coaches run very nicely. I once went to start replacing them for modern Bachmann Mk1's when they first came out. Big mistake! I had assumed the Bachmann coaches would run well. Well, I decided to sell thw Bachmann coaches cheap and kept the older Lima and Hornby versions. At least they behaved themselves! :lol:

The coaches run brilliantly with the flying Scotsman, little man enjoyed them going round. i also got another 3 of those tunnel entrances. nice 2 pairs for future builds....... already planning my extension board and i haven't even sorted this one out yet.....
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Looks like you have plenty of space to extend. :D
BuffyMcBuffer

Post by BuffyMcBuffer »

I
Mountain wrote:Looks like you have plenty of space to extend. :D

ha ha yes about 5ft maybe a bit more but i wont be doing a 5ft extension to it....... (he says) but i am thinking of sticking an industrial fiddle yard at that end.... (if i can get time to do that)

I'm in two minds whether to to keep the roundy round loop on the floor and put it on a board properly so little man has a set he can use to run trains round on as the track above is now on restricted space now they are up in the air and i have lost a lot of free space (now i can see why people go on to n gauge) but also because the new setup will be an endtoend run (no room to do a loop unless i come round to the wall at the side......)
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

N gauge is in its element when one has a layout where one has several trains running on several loops (Even two loops as on a double track main line oval) where speeds are moderate to high and one can sit back and enjoy. For slow speed shunting, 0 gauge is really in its element as the large wheel contact area does a great deal to ensure the motor receives the current it needs. 00 gauge is somewhere inbetween. This is how I have personally found things after trying both N gauge and H0e (European form of 009) if one does not take the actual scales into account (As in sizes of the models and the space needed).
All are nice and have their plus points.
With 00 gauge, as it is the most popular one can normally find the best bargains on the secondhand market, so this can cut the cost of modelling, and it is why when I model in 0-16.5 using cheap 00 gauge loco chassis I can model on a budget to good effect.
N gauge does provide an ideal opportunity for running trains through scenery and many N gauge layouts are spectacular. There is a small downside and this comes with children in mind as well as older gentlemen, and it is putting the model on the track. Most who struggle use those re-railing ramps, which are also good for use with 00 gauge. 0 gauge models are much easier in this repect, and painting anything in 7mm scale sure has its advantages as I found when modelling in 7mm narrow gauge. With narrow gauges one can take advantage of modelling a large scale in a small space. (For example, a five coach train (Using short 4 wheel coaches) with a loco is around the same length as a loco and two bogie coaches in 00).
It all depends on your requirements and modelling preferences. There is no rule that says you must choose one scale or gauge or another. It is more that some are easier to model in or cheaper to model in then others and some make better use of space then others.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

MMM,. Lofts, Garden Sheds and Garages are NOT the place to spend time working
over winter. Just believe it's now spring !

Geoff T.
BuffyMcBuffer

Post by BuffyMcBuffer »

Dad-1 wrote:MMM,. Lofts, Garden Sheds and Garages are NOT the place to spend time working
over winter. Just believe it's now spring !

Geoff T.
It’s actually quiet nice up thier now I have tha walls done and insulation in between the rafters (although I’m not too sure in this method might rip it all out and stick the rolls of insulation fabric up instead???)

Anyway got home from work and waiting for food in the oven so I hopped upstairs and took this down with some nails, flexi track, coaches and platforms to ensure everything is good

I like to get close!! Platforms need a trim/sorting so it won’t be that close in the end

Managed to get one flexi part fitted and permanent marker the nail heads

Tomorrow will be to finish off and start drilling for dropper wires that will be soldered
BuffyMcBuffer

Post by BuffyMcBuffer »

Drilled holes ready for the wires (which are on order and awaiting arrival) tried to run a Lima diesel on there but wasn’t having any of it so I think I’ve made the right choice and adding extra supply connections to the track

Labelled the board up so I know where I’m going and what wires I need, also got 4 isolation areas designated just contemplating which way I should do my points at this part of the board??

I haven’t t nailed anything down yet

BuffyMcBuffer

Post by BuffyMcBuffer »

IT WORKS! IT ALL FRIGGING WORKS!!!

Monthly news to follow in a few days....
BuffyMcBuffer

Re: Mcbuffys buffet (OO, DC, Now End to End, U Shape, Size?? ")

Post by BuffyMcBuffer »

sort little update i managed to get all the wiring installed and sorted for the main/first board

Testing was done Sunday afternoon by the little man who loved just pushing wagons around the track and switching the points so i'm happy

just waiting so more switches to arrive in the post to finish off a set of points and three isolated power areas

now to put the board back in the loft and start on the next two boards for track. easy enough as these go from two lines to single and will have a bridge connecting them both

oh picked up a nice bundle of these

ooo CDU just arrived

BuffyMcBuffer

Post by BuffyMcBuffer »

##################################################################################
######## THREAD FINSIHED, PLEASE GO TO PLATFORM 2 TO CATCH A TRAIN TO HERE!#########