Lybster Station.

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
glencairn

Lybster Station.

Postby glencairn » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:49 am

On my Steam to Sovereign Street thread, Dad-1 mentions am I doing a Lybster Branch ?
Was it NG ?, nevermind, standard gauge with 0-4-0's acceptable.

It was a light railway of standard gauge, opened in 1903 and closed 1944.

When I started building the layout in 'the spare bedroom' I was only concerned in running diesels. Some will know that Glencairn Estate is near Lybster, in Caithness. No stretch of the imagination could I have Class 55s and Class 52s trundling to Lybster.

Then Steam to Sovereign Street was added (and grew :lol: )

Now Dad-1 throws out a question. 'Am I doing a Lybster Branch?

All I can say is 'Watch this Space'.
Anyone got a track plan of the station?

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

glencairn

Re: Lybster Station.

Postby glencairn » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:05 pm

Where is Lybster Station to be built? Household Authorities have stated "No extension out of the railway room -- AT ALL." :( :lol:

After overnight deliberation, because Lybster Station is going to be a diorama ('Fat chance', some say.) the station is to be where the fiddle yard is.

IMG_2119.JPG

After all, the fiddle yard is Earlsheaton Junction, East Seacroft, Barnbow, Wetherby, Inverness, Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Glasgow & London. Oh! and Dundee, Perth, Stirling and ----- and --- .

Some compromise will have to be made. I know Lybster Station platform is on a long, wide curve. -----

More later.

Glencairn

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:07 pm

As the lines into the fiddle yard do not have engines running so far down the track, A quick clean of the track and 0.4.0 locomotive 'Raco' is the first to travel to the end without stopping.

IMG_2120.JPG

A 0.6.0 locomotive travels to the ends with ease.
IMG_2124.JPG

IMG_2126.JPG

I know at the end of the platform line there are points to allow run-round of the engine. Two right hand points are required.

The Wick & Lybster line was built and run by The Highland Railway, but was a separate Company. In 1923 W&LR became part of the LMS. As mentioned previously, the line closed in 1944 and officially in 1951.
Photographs of the line are black and white and 'very grainy'. Also they are under Copyright, therefore I am unable to post on here.

Glencairn

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:13 pm

Hi glencairn,

I always (Still) fancied doing a representation of the line South between Helmsdale
and Dalchalm.
When driving the A9 there was a place, can't remember exactly where, where the
railway came more or less off the cliffs onto an embankment, over a red brick track
under bridge that lead down to a small sandy cove. Then back onto cliff edges again.

I have a similar problem "NO MORE" .......... but Helmsdale had quite a goods yard
a great place for a man with a few ? wagons to display.

Oh and I keep on eyeing DJH 'HR' Jones Goods THE first British 4-6-0.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:33 pm

Dad-1 wrote:Hi glencairn,

I always (Still) fancied doing a representation of the line South between Helmsdale
and Dalchalm.
When driving the A9 there was a place, can't remember exactly where, where the
railway came more or less off the cliffs onto an embankment, over a red brick track
under bridge that lead down to a small sandy cove. Then back onto cliff edges again.

Geoff T.

Maybe that is at Kintradwell, between Helmsdale and Brora.

Glencairn
Last edited by glencairn on Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BrightonMan

Postby BrightonMan » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:46 pm

Is it possible to add another level? Maybe a loop around the room climbing to the new station above the existing layout. Just a thought!

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:30 pm

An interesting thought, BrightonMan.

The challenge then would be that the line between 1 and 2 already 'hugs the back scene. In front of that is the diesel shed, and in the very front is the direct line to Sovereign Street. A line anywhere above would, in my opinion, enclose things. I want the back scene to give an impression of going away into the distance.
(See Steam Trains to Sovereign Street for what the letters and numbers mean)
IMG_0753.JPG

As it would be only be me running any odd train to Lybster Station, all I have to do is run trains from Sovereign Street to Lybster. Sovereign Street would be classed as the 'fiddle yard'.

Looking at the old photographs of Lybster Station, the track plan at A on the above picture is 80% similar. Just the other 20%, platforms and buildings to do.

Glencairn

Berryman

Postby Berryman » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:18 pm

Very interesting topic. I'll follow with a great interest.
I wanna play trains too ! Image

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:43 pm

The platform was made of wooden panels o varying colours? Still some tidying up to do

IMG_2127.JPG

Glencairn

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:44 pm

Hi Glencairn - the RailScot site has a photograph of the station at Lybster, the building is still in existence and acts as the golf clubhouse!

https://www.railscot.co.uk/Wick_and_Lybster_Light_Railway/index.php

The track plan looks right out of a Freezer Plan Book https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=17&lat=58.3054&lon=-3.2825&layers=168&right=BingHyb

Best of luck with your extension

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:25 pm

Thanks for the links, Jim, especially the track plan.

I already have the Rail Scot pictures, thank you all the same. I did know the station building is now the Golf Club Clubhouse.

I did not know there was a turntable there also. I wonder if it was a later addition?

I have a book - Highland Railway Album by Anthony J. Lambert. In it I have found three photographs of the line just before opening plus a couple of other pictures.

Glencairn

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:48 pm

Two right hand points purchased to allow the run round. :D
Looking at the track plan, (thanks again Jim) I cannot fit the turntable in in the space available, but the other railway items seem feasible.

More later.

Glencairn

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:10 pm

Hi Glencairn, I had the idea of running from one scene to another each using the other as a fiddle yard. It never quite came about, along the way I kept thinking of sites and sights along various lines that I wanted to include. In the end the solution was two stations fairly close together serving opposite sides of the same town, one a small GWR station, the other a junction between the GWR and a line of the Midland, now combined into a heritage line.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:29 am

Hi Bufferstop. On my layout there are a number of things that remind me of times gone etc.. There are little 'snapshots' here and there. They are not 100% correct of course, (memory is only remembering certain bits,) but that is part of the joy.

With Lybster Station I hope to have some sort of representation of the real thing. Unfortunately I do not have room for the turntable and (I think) engine shed. A 'condensed' station and goods area is possible. Hopefully soon trains will be running from (Sovereign Street) Fiddle Yard past Winterwood Manor; past my son as he rounds up sheep on the quad bike; past Wyndham Farm (That's actually in Cumbria) and into Lybster Station.

As they say, "Watch this space." :lol:

Glencairn

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:35 pm

The track of the fiddle yard has been lifted and gravel mat laid

IMG_2128.JPG

IMG_2129.JPG

IMG_2130.JPG

IMG_2131.JPG

Track can now be laid.

Glencairn

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”