what do you hope to achieve from your model railway?

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Jim S-W

Re: what do you hope to achieve from your model railway?

Post by Jim S-W »

Hmmm

For me Atmosphere. Consistency, personal challenge, keeping me busy, in no particular order.

Cheers

Jim
Firefly16

Post by Firefly16 »

Atmosphere...
Michaelaface

Post by Michaelaface »

I was in no way bashing any train set stuff btw, I still buy them every now and then (if theres a good deal) as its nice to just have something basic you can set up in 5 mins and run wherever, don't really think that hornby advert sells that notion either though
Phat Controller wrote:In fairness I think it all comes down to ability.
Some of us have visions in our minds eye what our layout is supposed to look like, but have neither the time, means, or talent to make it look like we want it too.
I get what you mean but at the same time this forum is full of people who started off like that, but then grew their skills to create fantastic layouts

I know for a fact my first attempts were absolutely shocking, always felt rather inept when it comes to basic modelling (like constantly failing to cut straight lines in plasticard) I thought they were great at the time though, then I saw what could be done though threads on here (mainly Birmingham new street, leigh baltic street and frankland) which inspired me to constantly try harder and slowly but surely I feel I'm getting ever closer to what I wanted to achieve in my minds eye

has been a long, and at times frustrating, learning curve, but it all feels worth it
BrightonMan

Post by BrightonMan »

Michaelaface wrote:has been a long, and at times frustrating, learning curve, but it all feels worth it
I totally agree with that. I think the main skill that I've learnt is patience. I used to do things in a rush just to get stuff finished, with predictable results..now I just plod along and projects take as long as they take, which is fine.
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

To answer the OP's question, Lumsdonia aspiration guide level 6 to 7.

I think the video is very good, as the "all action", punchy style will do exactly what it is expected to do, fire up enthusiasm for youngsters to get into the hobby, as that is the demographic is is obviously aimed at!

For me, the design and build, investigation and skill building is far more important than playing trains, it's the personal satisfaction of producing better results in your own eyes that counts. Making a model railway layout is about creative juices, sometimes more than just running trains. (Else we would just save up and get someone else to build it for us!)
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
brit-in-bama

Post by brit-in-bama »

for me its rather simple, its an escape, when I am in the train room, I do nothing else, my life consists of fixing stuff or making things for other people, no matter what it is, finding ways to fix something that should never have broken has made me learn many skills, plus as my partner says I have an exceptional amount of patience for really delicate small things, (the devil is in the details) so when I started modeling again after 30 years of real life (marriage/work/ etc) taking up all my time! so after the divorce and 4 heart attacks, I thought it was time to slow down (a bit anyway).

What I enjoy the most is creating and building stuff from scratch, except loco's and stock, (up to now anyway), and as I have just acquired a 3D printer my horizons have just expanded infinitely, I know I have an advantage over most modelers with my 30+ years using cad and 3d modeling, but its still a steep learning curve finding out what it can and cant do, but its relaxing, its quiet, no customers interrupting,no phone calls, my partner has gone to his abode, the 2 cats and music are all that disturbs my peace of mind, and at the moment, no females around, its not sexist I know plenty, and many come and visit, but unless they have a hobby they dont really understand the need for solitude for a while, so when I shut the door, the night is mine, and magic unfolds, with small details that only I will ever know about, or how I solved that little problem, its still a journey, and its real interesting as the stops along the way teach me new methods and ways to do it better (whatever it is)

I know it will never be finished, they never are, but its my escape, my town, and I make the rules!
6C

Post by 6C »

Great Question!.

As a second time around modeller - with less time and not as much free cash as I'd like - gone for visual accuracy and a realistic timetable - without rivets and interlocking signals!!.

I mix and match buildings from smaller suppliers to get a more individual look.
Pete

Fetch me a bottle of your finest Chateau Bichon Frise '65 !!
bobsson

Post by bobsson »

I am afraid I don't have an artistic bone in my body so I know I will never be able to create a masterpiece, I do the best I can with what I have learned about the hobby over many years so I am quite happy, what I lack in artistic flair is made up with a reasonable knowledge of electronics and building things so I am not a complete duffer, loved the Hornby video it took me back to my childhood when I looked at layouts with wide open eyes.
All in all I just enjoy the hobby and building layouts.
Dublo

Post by Dublo »

Hello all
I have been thinking about this question, and I have some thoughts. When I enter my railway room I have found a certain calmness descends upon me. All my everyday thoughts just seem to vanish. Looking around Little Weldon brings a smile to my face, I am very happy with how it is progressing. I think I have achieved my initial aims in creating a 1950's style model railway. It is great just being able to turn on the controller and maybe throw a few points or switches and there is a train running through the type of layout I dreamt of as a child. If you were like me you dreamt of the big layout that was featured in the catalogue every year.
I think that being totally responsible for a miniature world has bought to me a sense of well being and satisfaction.
Buelligan

Post by Buelligan »

For me, I love looking at other peoples layouts, and going to model railways, to see the intricacies they've worked in to it and all the minute detail, but I'm not and never will have the patience or skill to achieve that. All we've got at the moment is my sons oval set, and for me I just really enjoy laying on the floor watching all the rods moving as the train moves passed, and spending time with my kids. In the future I hope to have an outdoor track, but again, that won't be highly detailed.
Dublo

Post by Dublo »

Buelligan, your railway doesn't have to be detailed for you to gain satisfaction from it. All I'm aiming for is to create an impression. That is enough for me. I do like to see the amazing layouts of others and I take my hat off to their creators. It's great to be able to spend time with your son my Dad did too. With me model railways have become a life long interest.
heda

Post by heda »

I enjoy the creativity, building my own little world. I could imagine my previous layout as being an actual village somewhere in the countryside. Because the trains move to me they bring the scene to life and remind me of my childhood standing on the footbridge at the local station watching the steam trains hauling coal wagons.
My new layout is will be slightly different, I intend it to be a plaything for my Grandson (and me of course) which will involve shunting as well as some areas that he can push some toy lorries. I'm looking forward to getting the track laid so I can start on what I enjoy most, the scenic.
Dave
Byegad

Post by Byegad »

It's a hobby that can be 'all things to all men', and women. For me I like watching the trains go by, and enjoy a little shunting. So my main layout has both. I am also building a small shunting layout. Neither would satisfy the rivet counters, and a do admire their dedication to their standards, but they are just that, their standards, not mine.
Ewood

Post by Ewood »

IMG_5661.JPG
For me it's what I can get into the available space. Mines 11.5 x 2.5 feet. It folds away when not in use as it's in the cars home (garage).
I've used a lot of stock from when I was a child but enhance with weathering etc. Due to the mixture locos ive decided on a preserved line.
I guess it comes down to your budget and what your standards are, mine took longer to plan than build , I wanted the plan right rather than altering time consuming work.
In the space I've got a two platform station, small yard, engine shed with fueler, small village and football stand (not full ground). It will also have a moving push bike but that's very much in the development stage at the moment.
sparkhill

Post by sparkhill »

Dublo wrote:Buelligan, your railway doesn't have to be detailed for you to gain satisfaction from it. All I'm aiming for is to create an impression. That is enough for me. I do like to see the amazing layouts of others and I take my hat off to their creators. It's great to be able to spend time with your son my Dad did too. With me model railways have become a life long interest.
A super attitude towards this great hobby if we all had the above attitude it would wonderful, being satified with your own layout creation is all important regardless of what level of modelling each of us attain, the bottom line is and always will be to enjoy what you are doing.
Regards
Nobby