Engine shed track distances

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
BobDM

Engine shed track distances

Post by BobDM »

Is the space between tracks in front of a steam engine shed the same as on the main line?

I was looking at a picture and I got the impression it was wider, which makes sense considering all the activity around the shed.

Any info gratefully received. Again. I don't know what I would do without this forum.

Bob
Bufferstop

Re: Engine shed track distances

Post by Bufferstop »

Where there are more than two tracks side by side there's usually a 10ft gap to provide safety for personnel who need to be on the track. I've always assumed that the tracks in a shed would be at least 10ft apart. Any one got a tape measure?
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Ultimately it will boil down to how wide the doors on your model shed are!
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

The 2 roads that go through Hawick shed were real-life 12ft between centres - leaving me approx. 16mm between sleeper ends in model form.

Rather interestingly however there were plans at one stage (that were never implemented) to build a new 3-road shed nearer the turntable. Strangely, the 3 roads would not have been equal distances apart, with 15ft and 21ft between centres!

So you'll be safe going with any of the above unless you have a specific prototype in mind.
stuartp

Post by stuartp »

If you have an end-on photo of the shed in question you can work out the distance by comparing with the track. Remember though if working in OO that the rails should be about 19mm apart, not about 17mm !

If not, ten foot minumum is a reasonable assumption, plus a bit if there are structures between the tracks e.g. water crane, bit of timber/girder/wall holding the roof up etc.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/